Times are changing, no longer is the property news all good and the many mixed messages in the media are causing some would-be investors to doubt their decisions.
Fear and uncertainty leads to procrastination and lack of action as you tell yourself “I’ll get around to it”, but you never actually do.
So, to overcome the fears you may have about property investment you must ask yourself two questions:
- What do I fear about investing?
- How realistic are those fears?
Sure, your feeling of fear is real, but it doesn’t have to be paralysing.
In fact, there are a number of strategies to help you overcome the fear of investing including:
1. Only listen to people who know what they’re talking about
When it comes to real estate, everybody has an opinion – but you know what they say about opinions?
They are like bellybuttons – everybody has one, but in general they are useless.
While your family and friends may have the best intentions for you, how many properties do they own?
Are they financially free?
If they’ve only ever bought their home and never really invested, then they won’t understand why you might want to invest in property.
It’s wise to listen to only people who have property investment runs on the board and who have already achieved what you want to achieve, rather than to those who’ve never had the same dreams as you.
2. Understand the media’s love of sensational headlines
Bad news and sensational headlines sell newspapers and create clicks on websites, but in general property journalists are not economic, financial or real estate experts.
Just look at the many mistaken predictions about an impending property market crash that have been in the media over the past decade.
Of course, some specialist publications have experienced property journalists on staff, but the general news you might see online is likely written by a young cadet who is miffed about not being able to afford to buy that waterfront unit in Bondi he is writing about.
Just like listening to experts, only read media stories that have been written by journalists who understand the economy, real estate and property investment.
3. You don’t need to know everything before you get started
If you want to know everything, you’ll never get started.
Be comfortable knowing that you have enough knowledge to get started and understand you will learn more along the way.
Accept that you are likely to make some mistakes but minimise them by getting a good team around you including an independent property strategist, a proficient tax accountant, a smart mortgage broker and a buyers’ agent.
These people have the type of experience that money can’t buy, but you can hire their expertise and profits from it.
4. Protect yourself with risk management
Too many novice investors buy with their eyes wide shut to the impact it will have on their finances in the years ahead.
Sophisticated investors, on the other hand, have risk mitigation strategies which allow them to hold and grow their property portfolio over the long term.
They understand that while capital growth is the key to wealth creation, its cash flow that will see them through the ups and downs of the property cycle.
Sophisticated investors not only buy real estate, but they buy themselves time to see them through the rainy days allowing them to last the distance.
They have cash flow buffers, perhaps through a line of credit or an offset account, to cover any shortfalls when their property is vacant, or an unforeseen expense arises.
Other risk management strategies they use include:
- Fixing the interest on a portion of their loans to minimise the risk of rising interest rates.
- Protecting themselves with life and income protection insurance.
- Taking out landlord insurance to cover for damage to their property or unpaid rent.
5. Understand the biggest risk is inaction
Money doesn’t discriminate; it doesn’t care who you are or where you come from.
No matter what you did yesterday, today begins anew and you have the same rights and opportunities as everyone else to become wealthy.
Yet the sad reality is that the majority of Australians will never achieve financial freedom because they don’t take action.
The good news is you can do things differently.
You can choose to overcome your fears and take your financial future in your hands.
Of course, while property investing may be simple, it’s not easy.
And that’s not a play on words.
Fact is, around 20% of those who get involved in property investment sell up in the first year and close to half sell their property in the first five years.
And of those investors who stay in property, about 90% never get past their second property.
So, if you want financial freedom from property investment to fund your dreams, you’re going to have to do something different to what most property investors are doing.
You’re going to have to listen and learn from different people.
You’re going to need to set yourself some goals and follow a strategy that’s known, proven and trusted.
Then you grow your property investment businesses one property at a time.
It really is as simple as that.
So, there is really nothing to fear – is there?
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO STAY AHEAD?
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
Sure our property markets are improving, but correct property selection is even more important than ever, as only selected sectors of the market are likely to outperform.
Why not get the independent team of property strategists and buyers’ agents at Metropole to help level the playing field for you?
We help our clients grow, protect and pass on their wealth through a range of services including:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
If you’re looking for independent advice, no one can help you quite like the independent property investment strategists at Metropole.
Remember the multi award winning team of property investment strategists at Metropole have no properties to sell, so their advice is unbiased.
Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned property investor, we would love to help you formulate an investment strategy or do a review of your existing portfolio, and help you take your property investment to the next level.
Please click here to organise a time for a chat. Or call us on 1300 20 30 30.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.