Geoffrey James writes that every formula for success that's ever written boils down to these seven steps which he outlines in his article in Inc.com.
As I looked through his list I could see how it was also relevant to success in property investment.
So let's look at what he has to say:
1. Know where you're starting from. (A)
Every journey has a starting place.
With the journey towards success, it's an understanding of yourself, the resources you have available, and the realities of the world around you.
Without this, any action you take will be meaningless.
2. Know where you want to be (B)
Every journey has a goal, too.
Nobody defines success in exactly the same way, so your destination must be specific to you.
The more specific the goal, the easier it will be to get there, which is why goal-setting is so essential.
3. Build a plan to get from A to B
Everyone needs a plan, so spend the time to create one.
However, the trick with success plans is to remember that they're always tentative and subject to change.
Use whatever role models and methods you like, but don't cast anything in concrete.
4. Take massive action based on that plan
Most people with a plan don't take enough action.
A few tentative steps aren't going to let you discover whether your plan is working or not.
Do 10 things when most people would be satisfied with one or two.
You've got to totally blitz this sucker.
5. Observe whether you're closer to B
This is difficult for most people because once they've put some effort into a plan, they desperately want to see the results they hope for.
They even see such results when they're not actually there.
So take a hard, objective look.
Get outside help if you need it.
6. If the plan is working, double down on Step 4
If you can prove to yourself (and to an objective observer) that the actions based upon your plan are truly getting you from A to B, then you should redouble your efforts.
Take even more massive action.
Don't forget, though, to do Step five afterwards.
7. If the plan isn't working, go back to step 3
The reason you took massive action is that you can't fool yourself into thinking that the problem was that you didn't really try.
You can now go back and build another plan, armed with the valuable knowledge of what didn't work.
I called this the 99 percent success formula because it raises the question: what's the other 1 percent?
The whole point of every success formula (including this one) is to reduce the influence of "luck" so that you don't have to think about it when you're either planning or taking action based on your plans.
When you’re ready to build a business, not just a job, we’re here to help you
- Do you know you’re ready for more, but tired of wondering how you’re going to grow your business?
- Are you looking to cure your frustrations and isolation with a Real Community?
- Are you tired of feeling like you’re doomed to playing small?
- Are you tired of spinning your wheels and getting no traction?
Here are 2 ways we can help you:
- Grab a copy of a white paper I recently wrote: “The top 5 reasons why you need to join a Mastermind Group NOW” – click here to download it.
- Work with me privately by joining our Business Accelerator Mastermind
This community is for you if you you’re a business person, entrepreneur or professional who wants to 10x your income, elevate your ability to give, and leave a massive impact on your community and the world by up-levelling your tribe, improving your business acumen, and removing your limiting beliefs around money and success. Click here to learn more