Successful, wealthy people are outliers.
They do certain things every day that 95% of the population don’t do.
There is a lot of noise being bantered about regarding property investment of late.
No surprises here given the pending federal election; the likelihood of a close result and the mooted investment property changes by the Labor Party.
I don’t want to join the noise, but when I read or hear gibberish I always like to go back to the numbers.
So just how many Australian households hold an investment property?
And who are these cats?
A quick summary
- There are 9 million dwellings in Australia
- 2 million are held by owner residents
- 8 million are held by investors
- So, 20% of Australian households hold an investment property and 80% don’t.
The top investor age groups are:
- 25% are aged between 55 and 64 years
- 24% are aged between 45 and 54 years
- 22% are aged between 35 and 44 years
- And just 15% are aged under 34 years
When it comes to the investment property’s value (in today’s dollars), investor’s think that:
- 35% are worth between $250,000 and $500,000
- 18% are worth less than $250,000
- 18% are worth between $500,000 and $750,000
- And 6% think their investment property is worth over $2 million. Hmmm, tell them there dreaming!
And finally, how many investment properties do investors hold?
- 73% hold one investment property
- 17% hold two investment properties
- 6% hold three investment properties
- And just 4% hold four or more investment properties
To add the numbers to this spread:
- 1,309,000 hold one investment property
- 302,000 hold two investment properties
- 104,000 hold three investment properties
- And just 85,000 investors hold four or more investment properties
Forgive me if I don’t want to get caught up in the current balderdash about the possible changes to negative gearing and how it is going to decimate the housing market.
There are more important factors affecting the future direction of the Australian housing market and especially when it comes to new housing development.
The best way to understand what is going on is to go back to the actual numbers.
Ignore the hyperbole.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.