It is impossible to become rich with a negative mindset.
Negativity puts the brakes on success and wealth accumulation.
It acts as an anchor, dragging you down into the abyss of poverty and poor health.
It is virtually impossible to become wealthy without a positive mental outlook.
Tom Corley accumulated a treasure trove of studies on the benefits of positivity.
Let’s take a look at a few of those studies:
1. Positivity Strengthens Your Immune System
Researchers at Harvard Health found that having an optimistic attitude reduces blood pressure, prevents heart disease, and increases your immune system’s ability to fight off diseases, viruses, and parasites.
As one self-made millionaire from my study told me, “you can’t make money from a hospital bed”.
Good health is critical to success because, without it, success is impossible.
So, good health at least gives you the ability to pursue wealth.
2. Positivity Increases Focus and Risk Tolerance
B. L. Fredrickson (1998/2001 Broaden and Build Theory) found that positive emotions increase your concentration abilities and increase your risk tolerance.
According to my Rich Habits study data, focus and risk tolerance were two common traits all self-made millionaires had.
- Also read:12 inflation jargons explained: Here’s everything you need to know
- Also read:Why I’m not worried about inflation — and why you shouldn’t be either
- Also read:Where should I buy my next investment property in Australia?
- Also read:How many investment properties do you need to retire?
- Also read:Top 20 strongest global prime property markets for 2022 — and 5 Aussie cities made the list
The self-made millionaires in my study had a laser-like focus.
They were able to focus on their dreams and goals for years and even decades.
Also, these same millionaires pursued dreams and goals that required that they take enormous financial risks.
If you have a negative mindset you will avoid risk because you believe you will fail.
Those with a positive mindset are able to take risks because they believe they will succeed.
3. Positivity increases Your Earnings
Diener, Nickerson, Lucas, and Sandvik (2002) found that those with a positive mindset had higher incomes than those with a negative mindset.
People want to do business with people they like and those with an optimistic mindset are more likable.
4. Positivity Doubles Brain Power
In one study on negativity, two neurologists found that when you have a negative mindset your prefrontal cortex is not functioning properly.
The prefrontal cortex is the seat of decision-making and creativity.
When you are negative, you literally shut down half of your brain.
5. Positivity Increases Life Span
Moskowitz (2003), Ostir, Markides, Black, and Goodwin (2000) found that those with a positive mindset lived longer than those with a negative mindset.
6. Positivity Increases Life Span
Union College Psychology Professors Joshua Hart and Christopher Chabris found that success was correlated to individuals with a positive mindset.