What makes a street cool, particularly in 2021?
That's what Timeout asked 27,000+ city-dwellers and Smith Street Collingwood one out is the coolest street in the world.
We know that Melbourne has been voted the world's most livable city more than any other city in the last decade, however, it fell in the rankings this year because of the many Covid lockdowns.
When ranking for streets looking for food and fun, culture, and community Smith Street in Melbourne, which is famous for its lively bars, vintage shops, queer bars, and some of the best restaurants in the city, won out.
This is despite it being in coronavirus lockdown for more than 100 days last year.
“It makes a lot of sense – Smith Street and Collingwood as a whole are extremely popular places to hang out in Melbourne,”
“Once the stomping ground of street gangs in the 1800s, Collingwood has a long, proud, chequered history of giving the middle finger to authority.
“It’s been overshadowed by Fitzroy and Brunswick Street for decades, but where the former is starting to feel a little stale, Smith Street is only getting better.”
The only other Australian street to make the cool list was King Street in Newtown in Sydney’s hip inner west – which came in at number 19.
The top 30 Coolest streets in the world:
1. Smith Street, Collingwood, Melbourne
2. Passeig de Sant Joan, Barcelona
3. South Bank, London
4. San Isidro, Havana
5. Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles
6. Witte de Withstraat, Rotterdam
7. Rua Três Rios, Sao Paulo
8. Haji Lane, Singapore
9. Rua Rodrigues de Faria, Lisbon
10. Calle Thames, Buenos Aires
- Also read:Latest Asking Prices State by State | Listings and asking prices steady in lead up to market hiatus
- Also read:10 BIG Benefits of setting up an SMSF or a Family SMSF
- Also read:Here’s how to avoid these 12 common reasons property investors fail to build a Multi Million Dollar Property Portfolio
- Also read:Auction clearance results December 2nd – Generally Steady Results on Another Big Day of Auctions
- Also read:Heat comes out of the housing market as values across Melbourne dip and Sydney slows | Corelogic Home Value Index
11. Krizíkova Ulice, Prague
12. 7th Street, Melville, Johannesburg
13. Cat Street, Tokyo
14. 30th Avenue, New York
15. Levinsky Street, Tel Aviv
16. Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago
17. Gran Vía, Madrid
18. Calle Ocho, Miami
19. King Street, Newtown, Sydney
20. Rua de Miguel Bombarda, Porto
21. Paseo de la Reforma, Mexico City
22. Main Road, Kalk Bay, Cape Town
23. Alserkal Avenue, Dubai
24. Rue Tiquetonne, Paris
25. Mariannenstrase, Berlin
26. Calle José Gálvez, Lima
27. Seaport Boulevard, Boston
28. Jægersborggade, Copenhagen
29. Allen Avenue, Lagos
30. Star Street, Hong Kong