If you’ve been reading my blogs you’ve heard it before.
But the message is so important I’m going to tell you again…
Everyone has good and bad habits.
Another way to put it is we all have rich and poor habits.
It’s no big secret that having more rich habits than poor ones will make you more successful.
But the problem with habits is that they’re often ingrained from childhood.
We may have learned bad money management from our parents.
Perhaps we’ve experienced emotional upheaval in our childhood, which has stayed with us for decades and turned into an unhelpful habit.
No one is perfect but there are some toxic habits that you can quite easily jettison from your life.
And by doing so, you’re likely to become a better property investor.
1. Hanging around negative people
You know those people who always see the world as glass half-empty?
They’re the naysayers who will complain about the lack of rain on a sunny day and vice versa.
While some people’s emotional thermostat is just set that way, they can have a negative impact on you if yours is not.
Admit it, during your property investment journey, have you had family members or friends question whether you should be buying that next property?
I’m sure you have.
Now, unless they are property experts, their opinion is just that and it’s also one that doesn’t have much education behind it.
Spending too much time with negative people is unlikely to make you more successful.
In fact, the wealthiest people tend to be the most positive – and they surround themselves with like-minded souls to ensure they stay that way.
2. Comparing yourself to others
Never compare your chapter one with someone else’s chapter 20 – it doesn’t make sense and will only disappoint you.
Why is that?
Quite simply, your reality is your reality.
You will never be anyone else so comparing yourself to others makes little sense does it?
Your property investment journey is exactly that – yours.
The thing is your strategy will be the one that best suits your goals as well as your investment dreams.
Of course, it will also be informed by your risk profile as well as your initial capital – and these are both 100 per cent individual.
The lesson from all of this is that comparing yourself to, let’s say, Warren Buffett will just make you depressed.
The only person that truly matters, and the only thing that you can control, is you.
So concentrate on axing toxic and poor habits to become the best version of yourself.
Not a cheap imitation of someone else.
3. Half-hearted goal-setting
Some goals are better than none, right?
Far too many investors buy one or two properties without any strategy in sight.
Most either stop at that point because of their lack of goals or they’ve hit a financial roadblock because they didn’t buy investment grade properties.
Blindly investing in property, hoping that it will just keep growing in value isn’t a strategy – it’s speculation.
The most successful investors develop an investment strategy that includes myriad steps over the long-term.
Here’s the trick: they tick off each step (or property purchase) along the journey to reach their end goal.
The secret is that they know that it will take a number of small steps as well as time and dedication to reach the end prize.
The most successful investors don’t give up and they always know where they are going.
What it boils down to…
No one’s perfect.
We’ve all got habits that are probably not overly helpful to us.
The key is to remove the toxic habits that are holding us back.
And then create more good habits that will ensure we on the path to riches not the poor house.
Now is the time to take action and set yourself for the opportunities that will present themselves
If you’re wondering what will happen to property in 2020–2021 you are not alone.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance and results.
In challenging times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that’s what you exactly what you get from the multi award winning team at Metropole.
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! This will give you direction, results and more certainty. Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.