What will Melbourne look like in the future?
Melbourne hails as the world's most liveable city - in fact it's won that accolade for 7 years in a row.
And Melbourne's population has been growing at around 2% per annum.
This means our population will grow by around 10% in the next 5 years!
But what of the future?
When Melbourne celebrated its 180th birthday in 2016 The Age asked an interesting question:
What will our city be like in another 180 years time?
Here's what they forecast:
1. We'll be really big
If we keep at our current rate of growth (over 2 per cent each year) Melbourne's population will reach 228 million in 2195.
2. We'll be Australia's Biggest City
We're already on track to overtake Sydney's population by 2050.
3. You'll be living by the beach
In the future more of Melbourne could be underwater thanks to climate change.
4. There's good news and bad news for the weather
Climate change could mean good and bad weather news for Melbourne.
The good: milder winters and a more temperate climate.
The bad: more heatwaves, bush fires and weather extremes.
5. We'll no longer be a coffee hot spot
Melbourne will no longer be 'barista central because there won't be any coffee to drink.
A study published in 2012 shows that the future for Arabica coffee (one of two main species used in coffee production) is grim.
Due to climate change, researchers predict the number of suitable localities for growing Arabica coffee will decrease by 65 to 100 per cent by the year 2080.
- Also read:What makes an A-grade property?
- Also read:Latest Asking Prices State by State | Listings and asking prices steady in lead up to market hiatus
- Also read:Latest property price forecasts for 2024 revealed. What’s ahead in our housing markets in the next year or two?
- Also read:Here’s how to avoid these 12 common reasons property investors fail to build a Multi Million Dollar Property Portfolio
- Also read:Heat comes out of the housing market as values across Melbourne dip and Sydney slows | Corelogic Home Value Index
6. Your job won't exist in 2195
If we look at some of the most popular jobs 100 years ago, a lot of them no longer exist.
The Census of Victoria 1881 lists occupations such as: biscuit packer, cabbage- tree hat maker, quack doctor and scarecrow.
It is safe to assume that if you are still living in Melbourne in 2195, you are probably going to need a career change.
7. How many Apostles will we have?
It started with twelve and after the shock collapse of the ninth Apostle in 2005, Victoria is left with eight Apostles, but who knows how many will be left in 2195?
8. We'll have a lot more skyscrapers
With a population well into the tens of millions, future Melbourne can expect to have a lot more skyscrapers.
9. How will the trains and trams cope?
Don't worry about it.
By 2195 we might be teleporting to work and school according to Physicists from Imperial College London and the University of Glasgow, who say teleportation could be a possible mode of transport as early as 2080.
They also predict that by 2100, we will be able to travel weeks into the future.
10. There will be footy, but not as we know it
Senior sport reporter at The Age, Jake Niall says that in 180 years time sport will be more closely linked with health.
As a result he predicts that Melbourne will have fewer AFL teams and soccer will be the participation sport of choice.
Read more: The Age
How to take advantage of the Melbourne Property Market
If you're looking at buying your next home or investment property here's 4 ways we can help you:
Sure our property markets are improving, but correct property selection is even more important than ever, as only selected sectors of the market are likely to outperform.
Why not get the independent team of property strategists and buyers' agents at Metropole to help level the playing field for you?
We help our clients grow, protect and pass on their wealth through a range of services including:
- Strategic property advice. - Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! Click here to learn more
- Buyer's agency - As Australia's most trusted buyers’ agents we've been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective - that's something money just can't buy. We'll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory - We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management - Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.