We all love our own neighbourhoods, right?
We choose to rent or own homes in particular suburbs because it’s close to where we work, it may have an exciting entertainment scene, or perhaps it’s in the right school zone for our children.
But does that mean that you should invest in your own backyard, too?
The thing is, far too many beginning investors do just that when they start out.
Their thinking is: Well, I love this suburb so everyone else will as well!
But this isn’t necessarily true and here are some reasons why…
Choose your sources wisely
You’re likely to invest in your own backyard because you’re biased towards it.
Confirmation bias is the natural human tendency to seek or emphasise information that is confirmatory of an existing conclusion or hypothesis.
But in my view, confirmation bias is a major reason for investment mistakes…
In order to minimise the risk of confirmation bias we attempt to challenge the status quo and seek information that causes us to question our investment thesis.
Make sure you check multiple information sources to ensure that the conclusion you’ve reached is truly correct (and is not just the information supporting your personal belief).
Make a distinction between where you live and where you should invest.
In many cases, where you want to live geographically and what type of property you want to live in may not be a great choice for a long-term investment property.
That’s often because your home suburb has been chosen for emotional reasons and we all know that investing should be about using your head and not your heart.
Strategic investors know to dig deeper than the average investor.
They are always on the lookout for investment grade properties that are going to outperform the averages – and that will probably mean investing in locations other than their home suburb.
In fact, smart investors often look in other states when searching for their next property.
A top-down approach to investing
The property investment system that has helped me build a very substantial property portfolio uses what I call a top down approach.
- It starts with buying at the right stage of the property cycle. I look at the big picture – how the economy is performing and where we are in the property cycle.
- Then I look for the right state in which to invest – one that is poised for economic growth because this will lead to jobs growth, which leads to wages growth and population growth which eventually leads to property price growth.
- Then within that state, I look for the right suburb – one that has a long history of outperforming the averages and one will continue to do so because of its demographics. I look for affluent areas where the locals can afford to and are prepared to pay a premium to live there.
These tend to be the established “money belt” inner and middle ring suburbs of our capital cities or suburbs that are gentrifying.
And, sometimes, sophisticated investors’ investigations lead them to sitting on the sidelines and waiting, while other times they uncover signals that say to dive right in (while everyone else is pulling themselves out of the water).
Not in my backyard
Hopefully by now you can see that investing in your own backyard is usually not the best investment strategy.
That’s because there are many other locations across Australia that can provide investors with opportunities to buy property with better chances of achieving above average capital growth in the years ahead.
While successful investing is all about strategy, it is also about considering all options and owning a geographically diverse portfolio so you can make the most of market “ups” and protect yourself during any “downs”.
That way, market conditions are almost irrelevant because there is always somewhere in a country of our size where opportunities are ripe for investment picking.
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
Sure our property markets are improving, but correct property selection is even more important than ever, as only selected sectors of the market are likely to outperform.
Why not get the independent team of property strategists and buyers’ agents at Metropole to help level the playing field for you?
We help our clients grow, protect and pass on their wealth through a range of services including:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.