After suffering a challenging 2020, including a number of lockdowns, the Melbourne property market is on fire.
And it is well documented that the price gap between Melbourne houses and units has widened over the last couple of years.
While family-friendly apartments in smaller low-rise blocks are still popular, the closure of our international borders and restricted traveling has meant there is little demand for apartments in the many high-rise apartment towers that litter Melbourne's skyline.
The latest Domain House Price Report shows that Melbourne’s median house price – which hit a record high of $936,073 in the December quarter – is now 64 per cent higher than the unit median of $569,677, which also reached a new high in December.
The report shows that, not surprisingly, the price gap between houses and units is far greater in some of Melbourne’s most affluent suburbs.
Top 10 suburbs with the biggest price gaps between house and units
Prior to the pandemic, unit prices were growing at a faster rate than houses, with 12.2 per cent growth over 2019, compared to 8.7 per cent for houses.
However, last year Melbourne houses outperformed units, with house prices growing by 3.9 per cent in 2020, compared to apartments, which grew by 2.5 per cent.
In the last three months of last year, house prices increased by 5.3 per cent, compared to 4.4 per cent for units.
- Also read:RBA tells workers to take a “real” pay cut to help the economy | Property Insiders [Video]
- Also read:Australian unit market update June 2022
- Also read:Here is what we have been buying over the last 12 months
- Also read:CoreLogic National housing market update | June 2022
- Also read:Top 20 strongest global prime property markets for 2022 — and 5 Aussie cities made the list
Of course, broad generalisations like this are not really that useful for property investors.
There is a wide variety of apartments from the poor quality investment stock packed into the many new medium and high-density buildings to family-friendly apartments with courtyards or large useable balconies in desirable lifestyle neighbourhoods.
Moving forward, it is likely that house prices will grow more than apartment prices over the next couple of years, however, well-located townhouses which have their own significant land component will make excellent investment properties and are currently in strong demand by many first home buyers who are being priced out of the housing market.
Now is the time to take advantage of the opportunities the current property markets are offering.
Sure the markets are moving on, but not all properties are going to increase in value. Now, more than ever, correct property selection will be critical.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance, and results.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced investor, at times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that's exactly what you get from the multi award-winning team at Metropole.
We help our clients grow, protect and pass on their wealth through a range of services including:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $4Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment-grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress-free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years, and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.