If you’re like me, you’re interested in learning about successful people.
I enjoy reading about the habits, philosophies, behaviours and influences of those who have managed to accomplish great things.
Not only do I find it motivating, but by understanding how and why successful people do what they do, I pick up tools and ideas that I can use to improve my own life.
So what is success?
As I researched over the years, I came to realise that success has many different definitions depending on who you ask.
The dictionary defines success as the accomplishment of one’s goal; the desired result of an attempt; or one that succeeds.
I know many people think the success is all about money, fame, and power.
But the many stories of unfulfilled lives and burnout among so called “successful people” shows however that success is not solely about achievement or possessions.
In my mind, success in life is much more than just money and power.
It is defined by your actions and how you live your life.
What is needed to succeed in life?
I’ve come to the conclusion that are six essential aspects to happiness and a successful life.
2. Mental Fitness: You need to be continuously engaging your mind. Learning and growing, experiencing new ideas, getting better, pursuing mastery, and putting your ideas to work to accomplish your goals.
3. Emotional Health: You need to be self-aware emotionally, feel good about yourself, and have a positive self-image. If you are depressed to the point where you can’t function you can’t be successful.
4. Social Health: You need positive relationships in your life and people that love and support you. You have friends and loved ones that you trust, that make you a better person, and inspire you to be better. Humans are social, if you don’t have people you care about and that care about you can’t be successful.
5. Purpose / Meaning / Spiritual Health: You make a positive impact in others’ lives, giving meaning and purpose to your work and daily life. This keeps you focused and inspires you to overcome the day to day struggles and setbacks that are a part of everyone’s life.
6. Material Wealth: There is a basic level of food, shelter, and clothing that all people need and that is paid for through money. If you are too poor or have too much stress from struggling financially you can’t be successful.
You can function and be happy in the short term without all of these elements but in the long term if you are missing one of them it is unsustainable and you’ll most probably become unhappy.
So, of course, something will have to change in your life for you to go on.
Emotions are how your subconscious communicates with yourself, they are one of the reasons humans are so resilient.
If you are unhappy, it is your body’s way of telling you something is wrong with your life and you should do something about it.
What is Success?
I’ve come to the conclusion that success is the drive for long term sustainable happiness.
In the short term, you can find happiness from all sorts of different things: Instagram likes, money, partying, small-wins, YouTube, TV, alcohol, shopping, movies, etc.
But in the long term, if you do not have the above 6 essentials you will not feel happy or successful.
Don’t compare yourself to others.
Don’t worry about what others say or do.
Only you can know if you are truly successful or not, and that is only the case if you are on the path to happiness over the long term.
When you’re ready to build a business, not just a job, we’re here to help you
- Do you know you’re ready for more, but tired of wondering how you’re going to grow your business?
- Are you looking to cure your frustrations and isolation with a Real Community?
- Are you tired of feeling like you’re doomed to playing small?
- Are you tired of spinning your wheels and getting no traction?
Here are 2 ways we can help you:
- Grab a copy of a white paper I recently wrote: “The top 5 reasons why you need to join a Mastermind Group NOW” – click here to download it.
- Work with me privately by joining our Business Accelerator Mastermind
This community is for you if you you’re a business person, entrepreneur or professional who wants to 10x your income, elevate your ability to give, and leave a massive impact on your community and the world by up-levelling your tribe, improving your business acumen, and removing your limiting beliefs around money and success. Click here to learn more
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.