Please use the menu below to navigate to any article section:
It happens every time the property cycle turns and the media delivers good news about property.
Property spruikers come out again taking advantage of naïve property investors.
Recently the Australian Financial Review reported that property investors are being offered “no deposit” townhouses in outer suburban areas such as Pakenham, a satellite suburb about 60 kilometres south-east of Melbourne.
The AFR explained that in order to move their stock developers are “deferring deposits” that are paid over five years with no interest.
However, borrowers must have $10,000, a “good credit history” and the ability to borrow.
Buyers are also being offered lucrative incentives, ranging from low deposits to top-range fixtures, in a bid to clear high-rise apartments, particularly around inner Melbourne and Sydney.
But here’s the problem…
Now that’s a huge commission and shows the desperation of developers to move this secondary stock.
And while it is not always seen as a commission buy the purchasers because it’s paid by the developers, clearly the cost eventually comes out of the purchaser’s pocket as it is hidden in to the sale price.
Of course you’d have to be a very brave investor to buy into the new high rise blocks considering all the concerns regarding their structural integrity.
So what is a spruiker?
The ACCC explains that property spruikers are motivated to gain money at your expense.
They suggest you don’t risk your money and assets because of their misleading advice and that you should always get independent, professional advice before making any investment.
Be wary of:
- high pressure sales tactics rushing you into decisions, signing contracts or paying fees (including discounts offered to seminar attendees who sign up on the day)
- property deals where the spruiker supplies mortgage broking, conveyancing / settlement or tax advice
- the suggestion the spruiker’s scheme or system is ‘government approved’ by frequent reference to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) or Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC)
- spruikers offering personal loans or credit to help you pay the enrolment fees for training courses
- property investment strategies that put your current home at risk by using the equity to borrow significant money to invest
- claims of capital growth rates that may not be independent or credible
- spruikers who side-step questions or downplay the risks and costs involved
- the promotion of a particular property development as the spruiker may be receiving a commission or have an undisclosed interest in it
- offers to buy properties interstate that you have not seen, or off-the-plan properties that do not yet exist.
I have been running property education seminars for over 17 years, but I have never sold any properties at the back of the room.
In fact I’ve never sold any properties at all.
For 17 years I have been running educational seminars, writing books and blogs as well as mentoring clients personally to help educate them to a level of financial fluency so that they won’t be “sucked in” by dodgy investment schemes.
Having said that I know some people who despite getting this type of education have still been lured by the promises of get rich quick schemes and unfortunately lost out significantly.
Just to make things clear… my team at Metropole and I have never sold properties, instead we give independent, unbiased strategic property advice and then help our clients implement the wealth creation plan we have devised together through property advocacy.
Similarly, last year when ASIC warned a large number of property seminar promoters and property “educators” we were not on that list.
So what`s the alternative?
At this stage of the property cycle, where not all properties will increase in value strongly, correct property selection is critical, so if you’re looking for independent advice, no one can help you quite like the independent property investment strategists at Metropole.
Remember the multi award winning team of property investment strategists at Metropole have no properties to sell, so their advice is unbiased.
Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned property investor, we would love to help you formulate an investment strategy or do a review of your existing portfolio, and
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 3 ways we can help you:
Sure our property markets are improving, but correct property selection is even more important than ever, as only selected sectors of the market are likely to outperform.
Why not get the independent team of property strategists and buyers’ agents at Metropole to help level the playing field for you?
We help our clients grow, protect and pass on their wealth through a range of services including:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.