How you invest your time determines how your financial future will unfold.
When people tell me they can’t invest because they’re too poor – now they don’t use those words – they say they don’t have enough money, I tell them “If you don’t have any money invest your time.”
Unfortunately, most people have no time to invest either.
Why? Because they think that working harder and longer will make them richer.
Unfortunately nothing could be further from the truth.
In the old days when I was able to conduct seminars I used to ask attendees to put up their hands if they work really hard and almost everyone puts up their hands.
I then say: “Keep your hands up if you’re a multi-millionaire” and almost every hand goes down.
The problem is most of us are working harder but the inflation-adjusted wage growth for the middle class has stayed stagnate or declined.
Clearly, working more doesn’t mean making more.
Why the poor stay poor
If you ask most people why they’re doing all this work, they’ll tell you it’s for money.
By this, they mean a steady pay cheque that provides security.
Money is one of the primary reasons people take on thousands of dollars in university loans to get a degree for a high-paying job that they don’t like but which they spend most of their waking hours at — all while the things they really love in life sit on the sidelines waiting for them to finish working.
The problem with this approach is that you only make money as long as you work.
The only thing of value that you have to sell is your time.
So, in order to make more money, you have to work longer hours, which is physically taxing.
Because you only have a finite amount of time and energy, as an employee, your earning potential is finite.
Why the rich get richer
On the other hand, if you ask most rich people what they work for, they’ll tell you it’s to build an asset base.
By this they mean investments and businesses that provide steady cash flow each month whether they are working or not.
Instead of spending their life working for money, the rich understand how to make money work for them because they have become financially fluent.
They understand the big difference between growing their assets and working for a pay cheque.
They realise that adding assets doesn’t require them to work longer or harder.
In fact, the more financially fluent you are, the less you have to work to acquire high-quality assets.
The sort of assets that grow in value and over time provide you with passive income, even while you’re on vacation and not working.
In other words, the rich have learned how to make money work for them.
But not just their own money.
The understand the benefit of using other people’s money to help them get rich.
- Also read:Questions and answers: Inflation & interest rates
- Also read:10 questions to ask before buying your next investment property
- Also read:The 15 Best Suburbs to Invest in Sydney in 2022
- Also read:10 most expensive suburbs in Brisbane
- Also read:Latest property price forecasts for 2022 revealed. What’s ahead in our housing markets in the next year or two?
- They use the bank’s money to leverage and gear and get a better return
- They use their tenant’s money to help subsidise their mortgage payments.
- They use the government’s money in the way of tax deductions and incentives like depreciation allowances and negative gearing
The rich plan to get rich
This is not to say that the rich don’t work.
They do – but they work differently to the average person.
They start by planning their future.
They set goals and bring their future into the present so they can plan and budget.
They plan to become the person they plan to become.
They also invest in their financial education because they know they incomes won’t grow beyond their person growth, so they work harder on themselves than they do on their jobs.
They don’t wish the world of investing, or their business or their profession was easier.
Instead they make sure they get better at it buy slowly, steadily and continual learning and growing.
By investing in their financial education.
To be frank I wasn’t always wealthy – my parents were immigrants and I grew up in a household were the money ran out before the month did.
But I invested the time to secure my financial future through financial education, even when I had no money to speak of.
Today, after many years, I’m enjoying the fruits of all that education.
I now have money that works for me rather than the other way around.
But it takes time to build a cash machine out of residential real estate – as Warren Buffet says: “Wealth is the transfer of money from the impatient to the patient.”
How about you?
What are you working for?
What are you investing your time in?
Are you working towards building an asset base so that your money works for you?
Or do you spend your days toiling away at a job you hate in order to make money?
If so, what’s holding you back?
I encourage you to start investing in your financial education today and building for your future through the power of owning income producing growth assets.
Now is the time to take action and set yourself for the opportunities that will present themselves as the market moves on
If you're wondering what’s ahead for property you are not alone.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance and results.
In “interesting” times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that's what you exactly what you get from the multi award winning team at Metropole.
If you're looking at buying your next home or investment property here's 4 ways we can help you:
- Strategic property advice. - Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! This will give you direction, results and more certainty. Click here to learn more
- Buyer's agency - As Australia's most trusted buyers’ agents we've been involved in over $3.5 Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective - that's something money just can't buy. We'll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory - We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management - Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.