The “Rich” and “Poor” share very different beliefs according to a 5 year study by best selling American author Tom Corley.
He explains that our subconscious makes up 5/6ths of our brain and responds to our beliefs.
Like software code, our beliefs direct our subconscious to manifest that which we think about and believe in.
If we believe, without any doubts, that we are going to become wealthy and successful in life, our subconscious makes it happen.
There is something in our brain called the Reticular Activating System which acts as a a data filter.
The RAS filters this data, eliminating most of it, and allowing in only that data the subconscious has been programmed to allow in.
Our brain is constantly bombarded with millions of bits of information coming in from our senses.
Some of this programming is old programming, hardwired into our brains through millions of years of evolution, and some of it is new programming, hardwired into our brains by our parents, environment (particularly when we were young) and our self-talk.
What the Wealthy and Poor Believe
From the research data Corley accumulated over a 9 year period, it is clear that the wealthy and the poor have very different beliefs and that these beliefs are a major contributing factor in their wealth or poverty.
In his 5 year study he looked at the data:
What the poor believe:
- 87% of poor people believe you must be intellectually gifted in order to become wealthy
- 90% of poor people believe fate determines your wealth or poverty in life
- Only 13% of poor people believed they would be successful in life
- Only 11% of the poor believe creativity is critical to financial success
- 80% of the poor believe genes are critical to success
- 82% of the poor believe they are not responsible for their poverty
- 77% of the poor believe lying is a prerequisite for accumulating wealth
- 90% of the poor believe rich people are rich because their parents were rich and they inherited money
- Only 22% of poor people believe optimism is important to success
- Only 5% of poor people believe rich people are good, hardworking and honest
- 52% of poor people believe wealth is accidental; a function of random luck
Now let’s look at what the rich believe:
- Only 10% of rich people believe you must be intellectually gifted in order to become wealthy
- Only 10% of rich people believe fate determines your wealth or poverty in life
- 43% of rich people believed they would be successful in life
- 75% of the rich believe creativity is critical to financial success
- Only 6% of the rich believe genes are critical to success
- 79% of the rich believe they are the cause of their financial condition
- Only 15% of the rich believe lying is a prerequisite for accumulating wealth
- Only 5% of the rich believe people are rich because their parents were rich and they inherited money
- 54% of rich people believe optimism is important to success
- 78% of rich people believe that rich people are good, hardworking and honest
- Only 4% of rich people believe wealth is accidental; a function of random luck
Corley explains that…
If you want to become wealthy you need to change your beliefs.
Most of these beliefs were handed down to you by your parents, your environment or through your own doing.
If you want to change your beliefs you need to reprogram you subconscious which he says you can do through Daily Affirmations and Visualizations.
Now Tom’s become a good friend and we share many common beliefs, but while I agree with the basic premise that your beliefs control your feelings and your feelings control your actions and results, but I disagree that you can permanently change your subconscious ingrained thoughts and feelings with affirmations and visualisation.
It’s a bit like “The Secret” which said that what you think about the most you become.
It takes a lot more than positive thoughts to permanently change your beliefs – it needs specially designed exercises and repetition to remove your non supportive beliefs and replace them with more supportive beliefs.
If that was the case my 27 year old son Harrison would become a female!
Interestingly that’s why I have designed a 12 month Mentorship Program – to change the way you think about money and wealth.
It’s designed to change your beliefs but as I say, it’s a lot more than rah rah or feel good sessions.
My Mentorship Program has been running for over 10 years now and many of the participants have had outstanding results.
In that time I’ve mentored over 2,000 successful property invetsors, business people and entepreneurs.
Click here now and learn all about it and let me be your mentor and part of your wealth creation journey.
Why not find out more about it now – just click here
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of michael yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to michael yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.