Want to know what's going on with the rental markets around Australia?
Watch today's short (4 minute) video where Dr. Andrew Wilson presents the latest rental market data.
Overall, the rental market remains quite mixed.
Both the Sydney and Melbourne property markets continue to experience the dampening impact of the many properties bought by investors over the last few years along with a substantial ramp-up in new apartment supply, much of which was purchased by investors.
Darwin and Sydney have the highest vacancy rates in the country, both close to 3%.
- Also read:What makes an A-grade property?
- Also read:Latest property price forecasts for 2024 revealed. What’s ahead in our housing markets in the next year or two?
- Also read:Here’s how to avoid these 12 common reasons property investors fail to build a Multi Million Dollar Property Portfolio
- Also read:Sydney property market forecast for 2024
- Also read:Boom to bust: What makes property prices rise and fall
A 2% vacancy rate is what would normally be considered a balanced market.
Rents are unlikely to increase substantially until vacancy rates fall below 2%, so there is likely to be only moderate rental growth in the coming months
Asking rents for houses have increased over the last month in Sydney and Melbourne, and interestingly asking rents for houses and units have increased in Darwin.