Have you ever wondered what sets professionals, in any walk of life, apart from the mediocre masses?
A key factor is self-belief.
But if you weren't lucky enough to be born with a high belief in your own abilities, there are still ways that you can cultivate this enviable quality.
Affirmations can help you towards your goals.
An affirmation is a short, positive, powerful statement that you repeat on a consistent basis.
Many of our actions are guided by our self-talk and our subconscious.
The conversations we have in our minds can either encourage or discourage success habits in the sharemarket.
Affirmations can block out those nagging voices that sometimes prophesy failure, and substitute positive thoughts in their place.
According to many professional psychologists, affirmations can reprogram our subconscious patterns and lead to a higher level of success in any field.
From my experience, I believe invetsors can receive these benefits as well.
Here are some guidelines for setting affirmations.
Those brave investors who have written some affirmations down may wish to alter just a few words to have them gain more impact.
- Have a specific goal in mind.
- Write it down once a day, 15 times in a row, using this type of format for at least one week:"I (insert your name here) will get/do/accomplish ... (whatever the goal is).""I (insert your name here) am an exceptional trader. I follow my trading plan every time I trade."You could also emotionalise the statement and speak about the goal as if it has already happened. The more emotional you can make it, the more vivid the impact on your subconscious. For example:"It feels great to have achieved ... (insert goal here).""Every time my stop is hit, I exit calmly and decisively."
- If you have imposed a time-frame for your goal, make sure you are being realistic with your desires. For example, winning the next 400 metres Olympic freestyle event is hardly practical if you can barely dog-paddle.
- Don't state that you "want" something to happen (your subconscious already knows this), or that you will "try".You are already trying. Make the statement concrete and positive.
- Write down your affirmations on flashcards and tape them to your mirror or carry them with you to read while you wait for appointments.Combine reading the affirmation with an everyday routine, such as cleaning your teethIf you find you're no longer reading the cards after a few weeks, rewrite them on cards of a different colour. Alternatively, add some new ones or alter the others slightly to maintain your interest in the task.
An exampleHere is a statement by a fellow investor:
"I must believe in myself and my judgment if I expect to make a living from trading." He believed it was an affirmation, but a few alterations are required to make it more effective."
To change this into an effective affirmation, he could state:
"I make an exceptional living from invetsing and I believe in myself"
"I make such a good living from investing because of my judgment and self-belief levels"
You have the power to alter your levels of self-belief.
Affirmations can help you achieve the goals that you desire.