How often have you thought to yourself, if only I had more money, life would be that much simpler?
Do you feel like you never have enough?
Are you constantly spending your salary the day it lands in your account and then eagerly waiting for the next payday so your stocks are replenished and you can start consuming all over again?
This is the unfortunate reality of how most people survive.
They live to consume and in turn, are ultimately consumed by the driving need to earn more money.
However the problem with this logic is that often, the more money that comes to you when you have this mindset, the more you will ultimately spend.
Farmers do things differently
They are producers rather than consumers and work toward growing something from very little – a tiny seed in fact.
Smart property investors understand that they must nurture and grow their portfolio, producing the returns they desire in favour of consuming all they have, rather than ending up with nothing to show for it when they finally retire.
They share the farmer’s desire to see their efforts reap great rewards and understand the value of these 5 important farming lessons.
1. Look at your salary or wages the way a farmer looks at a seed
In other words, instead of focusing on consumption and spending, think about how and where you can ‘plant’ that income to create a return on your investment.
This will shift your mindset from wondering what you can buy with your money today, to future asset growth, cash flow and income.
2. Be patient and look after your investment the way a farmer tends his crops
A farmer understands the cyclical nature of primary production, nurturing his crops after planting and allowing time and seasonal influences to work their magic.
As a property investor, you need to understand that long-term market cycles (as with the seasons) and time in the market, will ultimately determine your capacity to produce a post-work income through real estate.
Remember: “Wealth is the transfer of money form the impatient to the patient.”
3. Be selective with how you use your growing asset base, like a farmer is selective with his harvest
He certainly doesn’t scrape the bottom of the barrel, but focuses instead on quality.
As an investor, you need to keep an eye on your growing portfolio and know when to take out profit.
Now here’s the important part – in the asset building phase of your investment journey, you should only take out profit to reinvest for accelerated returns, just as a farmer re-sows the best seed to make sure each new crop is more bountiful than the last.
4. Each new cycle (or season) should be seen as a chance to grow your wealth
The farmer never ceases to look for opportunities to grow his crop. When the next harvest comes around, the cycle is repeated and the accumulative effects of seed, plus time, plus harvest are repeated all over again.
Like the farmer, you don’t want to consume the fruits of your investment labours, but continue to look for new buying opportunities that will enable you to use that good quality profit to acquire even more superior assets.
5. Work your investment portfolio, the way a farmer works his land
The farmer does not sit back and hope and pray that this season’s harvest will be bountiful.
Instead, he is pro-active in nurturing his land and ensuring his crops are fed, watered and weeded as necessary.
For property investors, the lesson is to be an active participant in the growth and sustainability of your portfolio.
This means taking care of your investments, regularly reviewing their performance and protecting them with necessary asset protection structures, cashflow buffers and insurances.
It also means keeping a close eye on the performance of your properties and if necessary, doing a bit of ‘weeding’ if you have underperforming assets that are threatening your harvest.
Remember, smart property investing is about the log term returns you ultimately produce at the end of the day.
To find success in growing your own crop of high growth assets, you must change your focus from consumption to production.
It really is that simple.
Now is the time to take action and set yourself for the opportunities that will present themselves in property this year.
If you’re wondering how to take advantage of the new property cycle you can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance and results.
Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned property investor, we would love to help you formulate an investment strategy or do a review of your existing portfolio, and help you take your property investment to the next level.
In “interesting” times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that’s what you exactly what you get from the multi award winning team at Metropole.
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! This will give you direction, results and more certainty. Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3.5 Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.