As we enter a new year and in fact a new property cycle it’s interesting to look back at 2019 and see what lessons we can take out of 2019 to make 2020 a better year in property.
And who better to discuss this with than Dr. Andrew Wilson, Australia’s leading housing economist and chief economist of my HousingMarket.com.au.
Watch as we share these 4 property takeaway’s from 2019:
1. Be careful who’s forecasts you listen to
If they listened to all the Negative Nelly’s and Property Pessimists at the beginning of 2019 property investors would have missed out on some great opportunities, particularly in the Sydney and Melbourne property markets.
What happened to all those predictions of 40% house price falls for the Australian property markets?
Lower interest rates, a miracle election result and looser lending criteria saw the property markets in our 2 biggest capital cities surge in the second half of 2019
2. Property investing is a game of finance- with some houses thrown in the middle
This became clear as APRA tightened the lending screws on property investors from 2014 through till 2018 causing the biggest decline in our property markets in modern history.
Then when the banks’ lending criteria became more relaxed and interest rates fell in 2019 our housing markets rebounded strongly.
3. There is not one “Australian property market”
While the fundamentals of strong population growth and the wealth of our nation will underpin the Australian property markets, there is not one “Australian property market.”
Each State is at its own stage of its individual property cycle and within each State there are many markets segmented by geographic location, dwelling type and price point.
4. Expect the Unexpected
Every year an unexpected X factor comes out of the blue to undo the best laid plans – some on the upside (like the miracle election result in mid 2019) and sometimes on the downside.
Sometimes these are local issues and at other times they come from overseas.
However over the long term our housing markets are driven by the fundamentals so don’t make 30 year property investment or home buying decisions based on the last 30 minutes of news.
The property market is not a get rich quick scheme, however those who own well located properties will benefit from the long term growth of their properties.
As Warren Buffet wisely said: “Wealth is the transfer of money from the impatient to the patient.”
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways Metropole can help you:
Sure our property markets are improving, but correct property selection is even more important than ever, as only selected sectors of the market are likely to outperform.
Why not get the independent team of property strategists and buyers’ agents at Metropole to help level the playing field for you?
We help our clients grow, protect and pass on their wealth through a range of services including:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.