Do you play the lottery?
Everyone knows the odds of winning the lottery are unlikely, but exactly how unlikely?
First off, I am talking about the major lotteries here.
Namely, The Powerball and Mega Millions.
Heard of them?
The odds are similar for winning both - around 1 in 176,000,000.
Not too bad, right?
Oh, wait, yes it is.
In fact, here are a total of 24 things that are more likely to happen than winning the lottery…
Dying Isn’t That Likely.
You have heard that you are more like to die on the way to buy your lottery ticket than you are to win the lottery, right?
- Also read:Here’s how to avoid these 12 common reasons property investors fail to build a Multi Million Dollar Property Portfolio
- Also read:Latest property price forecasts for 2024 revealed. What’s ahead in our housing markets in the next year or two?
- Also read:Sydney property market forecast for 2024
- Also read:Boom to bust: What makes property prices rise and fall
- Also read:This week’s Australian Property Market Update – Latest Data, State by State November 28th, 2023
The odds of you dying in a car accident are 1 in 6,700, by the way.
Dying isn’t really that likely, especially in some of these weird ways, but it’s still more likely than winning the lottery.
You’re more likely to end up here, but it’s not a bad place…
Here are 11 other ways you are more likely to die than win the lottery:
- Being killed by a vending machine. (1 in 112 million)
- Being killed in a terrorist attack on an airline. (1 in 25 million)
- Dying from a bee, hornet, or wasp sting. (1 in 6.1 million)
- Dying from being left-handed and using a right-handed product incorrectly. (1 in 4.4 million)
- Dying in a plane crash. (1 in 1 million)
- Being killed by flesh-eating bacteria. (1 in 1 million)
- Getting Struck by Lightning. (1 in 1 million)
- Drowning (1 in 2,000,000)
- Drowning specifically in a bathtub. (1 in 840,000)
- Dying in an on-the-job accident. (1 in 48,000)
- Being murdered…just in general. (1 in 18,000)
It’s pretty unlikely that any of that will happen to you and it’s definitely more unlikely that you will win the lottery.
It’s not all bad though.
There are actually good things…or at least, neat things, that are more likely to happen:
- Getting attacked by a shark. (1 in 11.5 million)
- Visiting the ER for a pogo stick-related injury. (1 in 115,300)
It’s probably not likely that you will be attacked by this shark.
Oh, wait! I said good things…here you go:
- Having identical quadruplets. (1 in 15 million)
- Becoming US president. (1 in 10 million)
- Becoming a Movie Star. (1 in 1,505,000)
- Becoming an astronaut. (1 in 12,100,000)
- Becoming a pro athlete. (1 in 22,000)
- Winning an Olympic gold medal. (1 in 662,000)
- Winning an academy award. (1 in 11,500)
- Finding out your child is a genius. (1 to 250)
- Dating a millionaire. (1 to 215)
- Getting a royal flush in a first-hand of poker. (1 in 649,740)