The rich are not necessarily happier than normal folk all the time, but I bet they are happier more often.
That’s because money does make a difference to people’s lives.
It removes a lot of our worries and allows us more time to spend with our families or on activities that make us happy.
Likewise, successful people are often happier, too, because they are usually doing what they love for a living, which would make anyone smile, don’t you think?
So what are some of the simple things that you can do every day that can make you happier and more successful?
Recently I shared 16 small things you can do to be happier and more successful.
Well, here are another 14 ways that can teach you to be just that:
1. Celebrate more frequently
Here’s how I want you to start: the small and large successes and accomplishments in your life deserve recognition.
I believe it’s a mistake to head straight to the next task or the next goal without celebrating, even if it’s only quietly patting yourself on the back.
Small wins need to be celebrated because collectively they can turn into on very big win.
2. Commit to achieving your goals
When you approach a task that leads toward your goal, never start out by saying, “I’ll try…”.
When you use that phrase, you’re giving yourself permission to fail.
Instead, phrase your action in terms of “I will…!” or “I must…!”
No wiggle room allowed.
3. Daydream more often
If you ask me, the idea that daydreaming and working are mutually exclusive belongs back in the 20th Century.
It’s when you let your thoughts wander that you’re more likely to have the insights that will make you both unique and more competitive.
4. Define failure as failing to take action
The fact is that regardless of your goals and milestones, you don’t have control over anything except your own behaviour.
Redefining failure as “failing to take action” puts failure (and therefore success) within your control.
5. Don’t gossip
Before you tell a story about anybody else, or listen to such a story, ask yourself four questions:
- Is it true?
- Is it kind?
- Is it necessary? and
- Would I want somebody telling a similar story about me? If you answered no to any of these questions, then, you must think before speaking.
6. Don’t worry what others think about you
This may seem obvious, but I have to start with it – you can’t mind-read and you don’t have everyone else wired into a lie detector.
Truly, you have no idea what anyone is really thinking about you.
So, it’s a total waste of time and energy to cling to your own idea of what that might be, especially if it’s negative.
7. Find the right job
While some work environments are inherently difficult, if you’re consistently miserable, it’s most likely your fault.
You owe it to yourself and your co-workers to either find a job that makes you happy or make the best of the job that you’ve got.
8. If it’s scary, do it now
Being successful means taking risks and risks can be scary.
Now the point here is, rather than letting fear keep you from taking action, use it as a signal that it’s time to actually take action.
It may sound trite, but there’s real truth in the old saying: “Feel the fear, then do it anyway.”
9. Know and keep your personal limits
While your job might sometimes seem like the most important thing in your world, you’re killing a part of yourself if you let work situations push you into places that violate your privacy and your integrity.
10. Let go of your results
The big enemy of happiness is worry, which comes from focusing on events that are outside your control.
Once you’ve taken action, there’s usually nothing more you can do, so focus on the job at hand rather than some weird fantasy of what might or might not happen.
11. Listen to something inspiring
I believe that your ears are the pathway to your brain.
When doing something visually boring (like driving), listen to audio books or motivation talks.
So, conversely, when you need some extra energy, listen to music that “pumps you up”.
12. Never attend agenda-less meetings
Meetings are only useful if people know why they’re meeting in the first place.
The best way to explain it is an agenda provides focus and purpose, so the lack of an agenda guarantees meandering conversations that dive into rabbit holes.
They’re a waste of your (and everyone else’s) time.
13. Understand that you are responsible for your emotions
Your attitude isn’t controlled by the outside world.
While truly sad things do happen, most of the time your attitude is the result of how you’re viewing the world, rather than what’s happening in it.
14. Remember that everything will change
It’s a fact that the nature of the physical universe is change.
Nothing remains the same; everything is, as the “gurus” say, transitory.
Whether you’re celebrating or mourning or something in between, remember that this too will pass.
There are so many daily happiness and success habits that people can engage in to improve their overall well-being, which in the end will likely make their bank balance healthy as well!
Now is the time to take action and set yourself for the opportunities that will present themselves as the market moves on
If you’re wondering what will happen to property in 2020–2021 you are not alone.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance and results.
In challenging times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that’s what you exactly what you get from the multi award winning team at Metropole.
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! This will give you direction, results and more certainty. Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.