If you’re like me I bet there’s things you’d do differently today knowing what you know now.
I’ve been investing for over 40 years and I’ve certainly made my fair share of mistakes along the way and paid huge “learning fees” because of them.
However, instead of being defeated, I learned from each error and moved forward a little bit wiser.
If you ask me that’s one of the keys to investment success – the ability to pick yourself up from setbacks, learn what you can from them (including your own limitations) and simply try again.
However looking back here are some of the things that I wish I’d known when I first started investing:
1. The value of education
My first couple of investments were successful, but the worst thing that can happen to a beginning investor is to get it right the first time – you think you’re smarter than you are, when in truth my early successes were because of a rising market rather than my own “brilliance”.
I still continue with my education and personal development to this very day.
2. Goal setting
Setting goals helps you focus because if you don’t know where you’re going, while any road may get you there, every road may also get you lost.
3. Create a property team.
4. Delaying gratification
To become rich you must learn to delay gratification as wealth is the transfer of money from the impatient to the patient.
5. Overcome your fears
6. Understanding the power of compounding and leverage
The earlier you start investing and the longer you hold your properties, the more time your money has to grow. And with a long-term horizon, you don’t have to be overly concerned about the ups and downs of the market.
7. It’s not a get rich quick scheme
8. Ignore white noise
Learn to ignore the “white noise” and keep your eyes on your long-term goals while not taking notice of short-term market vagaries.
9. Both capital growth and cash flow are important
10. Location is non-negotiable
11. Gratitude is important
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
Sure our property markets are improving, but correct property selection is even more important than ever, as only selected sectors of the market are likely to outperform.
Why not get the independent team of property strategists and buyers’ agents at Metropole to help level the playing field for you?
We help our clients grow, protect and pass on their wealth through a range of services including:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.