We all know that real estate is a long-term investment. So, what were the best-performing suburbs over the last couple of decades?
They may not be the ones that you’d first think of.
Today’s I chat with Bret Warren about what made certain suburbs outperform over the last couple of decades.
I’m also going to have a chat with an SAS commando.
Why? This is a show about property and success and money, but most of us are being affected by a form of hostage situation – COVID-19.
So who better to tell us how to handle a hostage situation when you’ve got a terrorist that you can’t even see than someone who’s put his life on the line more often than he’s had a hot dinner?
We’re going to have an interesting chat with Mick Donaldson.
Would you like to know which suburbs are going to outperform over the next 20 years?
Well, maybe a good starting point is to understand which suburbs outperformed over the past two decades.
The principles we’re going to discuss today are relevant for all property markets.
- Past history is not always a good indicator of future growth, but at least it’s a starting place for our research.
- The longer the past history, the more accurate predictor of future performance it will be.
- Most investors only research back five years or so
- Go back a minimum of 20 years – and if possible 40 years, however, it’s important to understand how a suburb has changed in that time – might have gentrified, new infrastructure, etc.
- Some suburbs in Brisbane have performed more than 400% over a 20-year period.
- Understanding what the top-performing suburbs have in common
- What investment horizon means
- How a property investor can out-perform the market
- What will drive property prices moving forward
- Mick’s background
- How COVID has affected Mick
- The stages you go through when you get a shock like COVID
- What you can control in a survival situation
- The options in a hostage situation
- Maintaining a level of control
- Mick’s acronym: PEARL
Brett Warren - Metropole Property Strategists
Metropole’s Strategic Property Plan – to help both beginning and experienced investors
Mick Donaldson – HQ Tag
“Gentrification goes on over a number of decades, so it’s not a bad way of trying to find an area that’s going to outperform the averages.” – Michael Yardney
“Sometimes the right thing to do is nothing.” – Michael Yardney
“It’s going to take longer than I expected, longer than we’d all hoped, but there is an end in sight and life will go on.” – Michael Yardney
PLEASE LEAVE US A REVIEW
Reviews are hugely important to me because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes - it's your way of passing the message forward to others and saying thank you to me. Here's how
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.