There has been a lot of concern about the number of loans that have been deferred because of Coronavirus and what's going to happen if the banks pull out the rug from lenders.
As usual, the property pessimist say this is one of the reasons property values are going to crash?
APRA recently released details on the major banks’ home loan deferral scheme.
At its peak use in May 11% of all home loans were being deferred. That figure has now fallen back to 9% with some of those customers also restarting repayments.
That is an encouraging sign and aligns with the recovery seen in payrolls data with around 50% of the jobs lost in the initial phase of the pandemic having been regained.
These charts from NAB show that fewer people were seeking home loan deferrals while those already deferred started to repay their loans.
CBA recently reported a similar trend.
Of the initial batch of deferrals it granted, around 95% of started making full repayments.
While the latest lockdowns in Victoria have slowed the process, if activity bounces back as quickly as it did in the other states following the easing of lockdown, deferrals may well continue to trend lower.
Importantly there is no new term cliff in terms of assistance being provided.
For loan deferrals provided prior to September 30, 2020, these can be extended up to the end of March 2021 on a case-by-case basis.
Part of the reason for the ability for borrowers to repay their loans could include the fact that employment has bounced back with the latest payroll data showing that Australia has recovered around 50% of the jobs lost associated with the pandemic.
- Also read:Latest property price forecasts for 2024 revealed. What’s ahead in our housing markets in the next year or two?
- Also read:Here’s how to avoid these 12 common reasons property investors fail to build a Multi Million Dollar Property Portfolio
- Also read:Sydney property market forecast for 2024
- Also read:Boom to bust: What makes property prices rise and fall
- Also read:This week’s Australian Property Market Update – Latest Data, State by State November 28th, 2023
The States that have controlled the virus the most have experienced the greatest recovery with W.A. and the Northern Territory recovering around 85% to 90% of the jobs lost associated with coronavirus.
New South Wales and Queensland have recovered around 60% of the jobs lost, while Victoria has lagged considerably with only 10% of the jobs recovered from the initial lockdown with the gains from initial recovery lost amongst the second wave of infections.
Dr. Andrew Wilson, chief economist of My Housing Market reports that home lending has surged again over July recording consecutive months of record growth.
The ABS reports that home buyer lending seasonally adjusted increased by a record 7.9% over July following the previous record increase of 5.3% set over June - the month before.
The value of national home loans recorded over July at $21.9bn is the highest monthly total reported since January and 11.5% higher than that recorded over July last year.
The sharp increase in home buyer lending over recent months reflects resurgent housing markets since the April and May coronavirus lockdown policies were eased.
Current severe Victorian coronavirus lockdown policies reintroduced in August will naturally have a significant impact on national home lending levels over the coming months.
If you're wondering what will happen to property in 2020–2021 you are not alone.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance and results.
In challenging times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that's what you exactly what you get from the multi award winning team at Metropole.
If you're looking at buying your next home or investment property here's 4 ways we can help you:
- Strategic property advice. - Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! This will give you direction, results and more certainty. Click here to learn more
- Buyer's agency - As Australia's most trusted buyers’ agents we've been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective - that's something money just can't buy. We'll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory - We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management - Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.