Skyrocketing property prices and surging demand in the luxury property markets are expected to push many Australian suburbs into the multi-million dollar zone in 2021.
In fact, according to the latest REA Insights report, the number of suburbs in Australia with a median property price over $3 million, doubled in 2020, and we should expect that number to double again over the next 12 months.
Despite the global pandemic, of the 30 Australian suburbs with a median price over $3 million, only five suffered a price decline in 2020.
Meanwhile, over half of the multi-million dollar suburbs saw double-digit price growth during the pandemic.
And the trend is expected to continue for 2021 with the list of $3 million-plus suburbs set to double again over the next 12 months as the residential property market strengthens further.
In Sydney, mostly.
However, there are also some potential contenders coming out of other states this year, including, Mont Albert, Portsea, Brighton, Flinders and St Kilda West in Melbourne, and Main Beach on the Gold Coast, which would be the city’s first $3 million-plus suburb.
Bar Beach, a particularly nice suburb in Newcastle, is also expected to make the list by the end of the year.
Officially, Australians have never been wealthier.
Total household wealth jumped to a record high in November last year, primarily thanks to a large increase in savings during the coronavirus pandemic, increased superannuation and house price growth, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
The Bureau also found that those Australians who managed to remain employed over the past 12 months, and even worked in sectors which benefited from the COVID-19 crisis (such as technology) also enjoyed growth in their income.
By the end of last year, despite the pandemic, income growth, combined with higher savings and house price growth strengthened the luxury residential property market, particularly the ultra-luxury market.
- Also read:Latest Asking Prices State by State | Listings and asking prices steady in lead up to market hiatus
- Also read:Latest property price forecasts for 2024 revealed. What’s ahead in our housing markets in the next year or two?
- Also read:Here’s how to avoid these 12 common reasons property investors fail to build a Multi Million Dollar Property Portfolio
- Also read:Heat comes out of the housing market as values across Melbourne dip and Sydney slows | Corelogic Home Value Index
- Also read:Sydney property market forecast for 2024
Another factor is that offshore luxury expatriate buyers were a driver of the accelerating luxury market.
Although data is hard to come by, anecdotal evidence supporting this theory is strong.
By the end of 2020, views per listing on realestate.com.au for homes priced over $10 million had surged by a whopping 150% compared to prior to the pandemic.
These suburbs are poised to hit $3-million median prices if their growth trajectory continues.
|Sandringham||Sydney - Inner South West||NSW|
|Mont Albert||Melbourne - Inner East||VIC|
|Millers Point||Sydney - City and Inner South||NSW|
|Main Beach||Gold Coast||QLD|
|Church Point||Sydney - Northern Beaches||NSW|
|Putney||Sydney - Ryde||NSW|
|St Kilda West||Melbourne - Inner||VIC|
|Curl Curl||Sydney - Northern Beaches||NSW|
|Naremburn||Sydney - North Sydney and Hornsby||NSW|
|South Coogee||Sydney - Eastern Suburbs||NSW|
|Dolans Bay||Sydney - Sutherland||NSW|
|Clareville||Sydney- Northern Beaches||NSW|
|Bondi Beach||Sydney - Eastern Suburbs||NSW|
|Roseville||Sydney - North and Hornsby||NSW|
|Brighton||Melbourne - Inner South||VIC|
|Riverview||Sydney - North and Hornsby||NSW|
|North Willoughby||Sydney - North and Hornsby||NSW|
|Seaforth||Sydney - Northern Beaches||NSW|
|Cremorne||Sydney - North and Hornsby||NSW|
|Lindfield||Sydney - North and Hornsby||NSW|
|Coogee||Sydney - Eastern Suburbs||NSW|
|Waverly||Sydney - Eastern Suburbs||NSW|
|Bondi||Sydney - Eastern Suburbs||NSW|
Note: based on applying 2020 growth rate to median prices as of the end of 2020.
Sure the markets are moving on, but not all properties are going to increase in value. Now, more than ever, correct property selection will be critical.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance, and results.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced investor, at times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that's exactly what you get from the multi award-winning team at Metropole.
We help our clients grow, protect and pass on their wealth through a range of services including:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $4Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment-grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress-free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years, and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.