If you want a sure-fire way to succeed at negotiations – whether it’s with your partner over who takes out the bins or for your next property investment purchase, then look no further.
Here’s 7 timeless quotes to help you out:
1. Negotiating is essentially human way of interacting
It is the way we progress.
Adam Smith, the Scottish economist who wrote “The Wealth of Nations” put it this way:
“Man is an animal that makes bargains. No other animal does this. One dog does not exchange a bone with another.”
2. Negotiating is not about dividing up a limited cake in ways that are divisive
It is about making a bigger and better cake.
David Ghitelman says that the key to making negotiations work isn’t a scarcity mentality but an added value mentality:
“Negotiating is about creating value, not dividing wealth.”
3. Conflict is at the heart of negotiation but only a positive view of conflict will result in a successful outcome
As Dean Tjosvold said:
“Co-operative conflict builds people up, strengthens their relationships and gets things done.”
4. There is a time to speak and a time to shut up in negotiations
When you do more listening than speaking, you actually increase your negotiating power.
I remember reading this quote:
“If you’re talking, you’re giving information and therefore giving away power. If you’re listening and asking questions, you’re gaining information, the raw material of knowledge, and therefore gaining power.”
5. In power negotiations, when the stakes are high, let the other side believe what you want them to believe
But don’t lie or be dishonest.
Sun Tzu, the writer of the oldest military treatise in the world, “The Art of War”, put it in these words:
“All warfare is based on deception. Therefore when capable, feign incapability. When active, inactivity.
When near, make it appear that you are far away. When far away, that you are to lure him. Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance.”
6. Recognize that you will only reach agreement by understanding the deeply-held needs of the other side
In Frank Romer’s words:
“People will sit up and take notice of you if you will sit up and take notice of what makes them sit up and take notice.”
7. You can only succeed in negotiations with a win-win attitude
To quote B.C.Forbes:
“Any business arrangement that is not profitable to the other person will in the end prove unprofitable for you.
The bargain that yields mutual satisfaction is the only one that is apt to be repeated.”
If you are new to property investment negotiations or still struggling to master the skill, remember these 7 quotes.
They are words of wisdom passed down the years and invariably learned by the painful lessons of experience.
Now is the time to take action and set yourself for the opportunities that will present themselves as the market moves on
If you’re wondering what will happen to property in 2020–2021 you are not alone.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance and results.
In challenging times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that’s what you exactly what you get from the multi award winning team at Metropole.
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! This will give you direction, results and more certainty. Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.