Generally speaking, people live their life in one of two ways – happily and successfully, or miserably and with loads of regrets about what ‘could have been’.
Those who are happy and successful don’t necessarily have a more blessed or ‘lucky’ life than the other mob.
They might even have exactly the same job, the same type of family situation and the same home and other assets.
So what sets these two polar opposite ways of living life apart?
Personally I think a lot of how we choose to live our life comes down to how we perceive the things that happen in it.
Take mistakes and failures
While perceived ‘mistakes’ and ‘failures’ knock some people down for a long time, others learn from them, get right back up and do things a bit differently, according to the lessons learnt.
I remember American Philosopher Jim Rohn once saying that it’s too bad failures don’t give seminars, because understanding why some people never seem to get anywhere in terms of happiness or success, no matter how hard they try, could be a very valuable learning tool.
So rather than giving you the standard ‘10 tips on how to succeed’, today I’d look at the 11 things you should never do if you want a rewarding life.
1. Cruise along, day by day.
Who needs to set goals or make plans?
Just see what takes your fancy when you wake up and stumble through each new day without any sense of purpose or direction.
2. Stay in your comfort zone.
To grow as a human being requires work and more often than not, embracing the unknown.
Don’t risk such stress; instead remain safely in your own little cosy bubble.
3. Believe in nothing.
Cynicism requires a lot less work than belief in something, because then you might have to act on it.
Point out the flaws in everything and always look for what could go wrong.
4. Talk a lot.
Why bother listening to what anyone else has to say?
You know it all, so make sure you tell your own story…often…and no matter how bored others might appear.
5. Don’t risk failure.
The answer: just don’t try because we all know that’s the best way to avoid rejection or pain.
6. Take care of Number One.
Maintaining friendships and family relations takes time and energy, not to mention the potential sacrifices you might be forced to make and the sheer inconvenience of it all.
Looking after you is all that matters.
7. Never take the blame.
Apologizing or being responsible for your own actions is so yesterday – just look at all the litigation that goes on in our modern world as people seek to find someone else at fault for the way their life is going.
Remember – it’s always someone else’s problem.
8. Sleep a lot.
Sure, there’s only so many hours in the day, but why spend them accomplishing things and progressing when you could be getting some shut eye?
9. Always defend your point of view.
Remember, it’s the only one that counts.
If someone disagrees with you, don’t let it go unchallenged – make as much noise as necessary until they renege on the debate.
10. Stay guarded.
Trust can easily lead to heartache and hurt, so keep your walls up and don’t let anyone in. Ever!
11. Always expect the worst.
If you walk around expecting something good to happen, chances are you will just be really disappointed.
Don’t risk the self-doubt and angst that can accompany unmet expectation, surrender instead to the philosophy that ‘life sucks’.
So remember, if you want to live a self-fulfilling prophecy of a life full of disappointment and despair as the ultimate loser, just follow the above 11 ideals.
On the other hand, if you want happiness and success, perhaps see if you can have a long conversation with someone who has never found it and learn more about what not to do!
Now is the time to take action and set yourself for the opportunities that will present themselves as the market moves on
If you’re wondering what will happen to property in 2020–2021 you are not alone.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance and results.
In challenging times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that’s what you exactly what you get from the multi award winning team at Metropole.
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! This will give you direction, results and more certainty. Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.