Books, blogs and magazines are full of great tips on what to do to become a successful property investor.
However today I’d like to look at a number of things successful investors don’t do.
1. They don’t concern themselves that the markets are unpredictable.
Successful investors are comfortable with the reality that their future can’t be predicted.
They know that despite having the best plans and strategies, there are always X-factors coming out of the blue that may affect them negatively, so they protect themselves by planning for the worst yet expecting the best outcome.
2. They don’t accept things as true without questioning.
In an uncertain world, we love to be right because it helps us make sense of things.
One of the ways we strive to be correct is by looking for evidence that confirms we are correct.
Psychologists call this confirmation bias.
For example property investors tend looked for information that confirms their hunch about a property strategy or region or trend.
I’ve found those who display strong confirmation bias tend to be more over-confident, yet tend to make the least money.
It seems we like to be right, even if it costs us money.
Instead successful investors understand that most of us are ruled by our prejudices, so they maintain a healthy scepticism and question new information before accepting it to be true.
3. They don’t think success will come “quickly” or “easily.”
Successful investors don’t look for the next “get rich quick” scheme, knowing that those with a long-term perspective and who delay gratification are more likely to be financially successful because wealth is the transfer of money from the inpatient to the patient.
They set themselves up by living within their means, budgeting, sacrificing and saving.
Then they invest their money and keep reinvesting until they grow a substantial asset base.
4. They don’t wait for the “right time” to take action
Successful property investors don’t try and time the markets.
They know there isn’t a “right” time to do anything.
I’ve found successful investors gather the necessary information quickly, make an informed decision and then take appropriate action.
They’re able to see the big picture and don’t get caught up in the detail.
And even when they don’t have all the information they need, they believe it’s better to make a decision with some information, than to make not to make a decision at all.
They then take action and gather the balance of the information as they move on.
5. They don’t try and do it on their own
Successful investors know that if they’re the smartest person on their team they’re in trouble, so they’re prepared to pay good advisers and have mentors who inspire and motivate them and keep them accountable.
6. They don’t waste their time worrying
Interestingly most things we fear will happen, never do.
They are just monsters in our minds.
And if they do happen then they’ll most likely not be as bad as we expected.
The lesson here is that you shouldn’t take things too seriously because that which seems like a big problem today, you may not even remember in five years.
7. They don’t give others the power to define “success” for them
When you compare yourself to others you let the outside world control how you feel about yourself.
Successful people pursue what makes them happy without worrying about what others think, especially other people’s definition of success.
The lesson here is strive to become the best you can be and look at how far you have come, what you have accomplished and how you have grown.
You see…while many people measure success in dollars, successful people recognise true wealth is what you’re left with after you take away all your money and properties.
In my mind to be truly wealthy you need much more than money.
You need money PLUS your health, money PLUS family and friends to share it with, money PLUS time to appreciate it, the ability to keep growing and learning and money PLUS the desire to contribute back to the community and charity.
8. They don’t dodge responsibilities
Successful people are human so of course they also make their share mistakes, yet they’re willing to accept responsibility and admit their faults.
Sometimes negative experiences, mistakes and failures can be even better than a success because you learn something new which another win could never teach you.
9. They don’t ignore problems
Successful people confront problems as soon as possible.
Like all of us they’re tempted to neglect things that are difficult to deal with, but tackle them anyway, because putting off a problem only turns it into a bigger one.
10. They don’t speculate
Rather than following the latest fad, successful investors follow a time proven strategy that they repeat again and again, recognising that you can’t become an expert by doing one hundred things once.
Instead they do one thing a hundred times till they become proficient and can produce repeatable results – that’s how they know they’ve become an expert.
It may make their investing boring, but the results make their lives exciting.
11. They don’t forget the people who matter
No matter how busy they might be, successful investors make time to tend to their personal relationships, knowing how empty life would get without love and friendships.
So there you have it – 11 things not to do if you want to be a success.
How can you grow your success?
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
Sure our property markets are improving, but correct property selection is even more important than ever, as only selected sectors of the market are likely to outperform.
Why not get the independent team of property strategists and buyers’ agents at Metropole to help level the playing field for you?
We help our clients grow, protect and pass on their wealth through a range of services including:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.