Have you ever considered that professional sports people are at a huge advantage when they retire and turn their interest to the real world?
There are many lessons, I believe we can learn from them as investors and as business people… 15 to be precise!
If you missed my first article (part 1), you may want to review this as I share the first 5 lessons.
In this article we will visit another 5 lesson we can learn from Professional Athletes…
6. Overcome Adversity
Professional Athletes are incredibly persistent.
Once they have a goal, a burning desire they can be like a dog with a bone, they are rarely deterred.
They will leave no stone unturned in pursuit of their goals.
They understand along the way there will be setbacks in the form of injuries, poor form and external influences that take them off track or knock them off their feet.
But they get straight back up and shake themselves off with a renewed motivation.
As Property Investors and Businesspeople it is the same, the successful ones persist and rarely get knocked off course.
It may be a poor week for sales or a year or two of poor growth, but they keep persisting, they work with their coaches to adapt and overcome and they just seem to find a way to get back on track and keep moving toward their goals.
The old saying…. “get knocked over 9 times, get up 10”
7. Learn from their losses and move on
Professional athletes do this a minimum of once per week.
It may be something simple like watching video to help them understand a technique flaw or how they should have positioned themselves.
I know as a team, professional athletes also spend hours watching footage with their coaches after a loss so they can improve as individuals and as overall a team.
Rather than dwelling on their losses they have the ability learn quickly and move on.
How often do you sit down with your team or mentors to reflect on where you are and where you need to be and then make the necessary adjustments?
8. Put themselves out there
I also know for a fact Professional Athletes put themselves out there.
Many college athletes in America, whether it be football, basketball, baseball etc send out highlight reels to perspective professional team coaches and recruiters in the hop they are drafted.
They chase their dream, they don’t wait for it to come to them.
I know many Entrepreneurs, that are too afraid to put themselves out there.
They are worried what people think, or they are uncomfortable in front of a camera.
To sell their service or product, they need to get in front of as many people as possible, as the saying goes “you can’t sell a secret”
- Also read:Questions and answers: Inflation & interest rates
- Also read:10 questions to ask before buying your next investment property
- Also read:The 15 Best Suburbs to Invest in Sydney in 2022
- Also read:10 most expensive suburbs in Brisbane
- Also read:Latest property price forecasts for 2022 revealed. What’s ahead in our housing markets in the next year or two?
9. Perform under Pressure
Huge amounts of pressure are part and parcel of being a professional athlete.
There every move I sunder scrutiny both on and off the field, especially since the introduction of Social Media.
They face huge pressure to perform in arenas filled with thousands if people and TV audiences of potentially millions!
The best seem to able absorb it and then thrive off it.
I am sure property investors and businesspeople rarely come under the same scrutiny in those numbers, but I am certain at times it sure feels like it.
How you deal with pressure matters.
It is those split-second decisions, in the heat of the battle that will make or break you and it can feel like the world is watching.
The best leaders have a lot of experience in these pressure cookers and can use it to their advantage.
10. Never switch off
Professional Athletes never switch off, they have their end goal first and foremost in their mind at all times.
I feel this also is a similar trait for many business owners, I know some that have an incredible work ethic and always seem to be at their desk.
Property Investors are different, as creating wealth and growing an asset base is a slow burn, it can take a long time, decades in fact.
But there is a difference between never switching off from the big picture and getting lost in the everyday and that’s where professional athletes thrive.
They never forget why they are training, jumping in and out of ice baths and making sacrifices, as it is all part of the big plan – it will all be worth it is their mentality.
They also allocate blocks of time for downtime and rest and force themselves to switch off.
Professional Athletes use their burning desire and their dreams to overcome adversity.
They also study themselves daily, weekly to learn from their losses and as a result they are able to make the necessary corrections and move on.
They are willing to put themselves out there to the masses in pursuit of their dream, while many may be too timid to step outside their comfort zone and then with millions of people watching they have the ability to perform under pressure, time and time again.
Like everyone with a dream or significant goal, they never switch off, while this can be a hindrance, I believe it is a major benefit as their goals is always firmly in their sites.
If you can understand, but more importantly put into practice some of these lessons, you will be well on your way to achieving your goals and dreams.
By the way…If you're looking at buying your next home or investment property…
Here's 4 ways we can help you:
Sure many of the property markets around Australia are performing well, but correct property selection is even more important than ever, as only selected sectors of the market are likely to outperform.
Why not get the independent team of property strategists and buyers' agents at Metropole to help level the playing field for you?
We help our clients grow, protect and pass on their wealth through a range of services including:
- Strategic property advice. - Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! Click here to learn more
- Buyer's agency - As Australia's most trusted buyers’ agents we've been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective - that's something money just can't buy. We'll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory - We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management - Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.