Please use the menu below to navigate to any article section:
- 1. Structure:
- 2. Remove isolation:
- 3. Focus on outcomes
- 4. Be clear on Expectations
- 5. Monitor their mental health
- Hold weekly 1:1 chats
- 2. Group WAR meeting
- 3. Set up a group chat such using Microsoft Teams
- 4. For key people, ask for a daily check in. Basecamp has a provision for that.
- When you’re ready to build a business, not just a job, we’re here to help you
As Corona Virus continues to disrupt our working lives and in fact just about every aspect of our lives, we will need to continue to adapt.
One of the more common changes to hit the commercial world is the need for team members to work remotely.
Here is a simple Five-Step Process to Manage Remote Team Members:
There needs to be structure. In order to be effective, team members need to have structure to their communication and workflow.
Set meeting times and agendas need to be established (more on this later). There also needs to be structure to the way work and progress is reported.
2. Remove isolation:
One of the benefits of working as a part of a team is a level of camaraderie and a sense of belonging.
Treating the team member as if they were in the office is important.
Allowing them to talk with you about the day to day things is important, so don’t limit communication to purely work just because they are no longer a few paces away.
Encouraging sharing on group chats such as WhatsApp or Microsoft Teams is a great start.
3. Focus on outcomes
What they achieve is far more important than when they are working on it.
Whilst the aim is to keep remote working as close to the office environment as possible, there will be distractions.
Accept that from time to time they may be distracted by things at home.
As long as they are meeting expectations on delivery and quality, don’t sweat the small stuff.
4. Be clear on Expectations
Be crystal clear on expectations around working hours, how long it should take a team member to respond to you or another team member.
How do you expect them to communicate with each other.
5. Monitor their mental health
Make sure you are as focussed on how effected they are as how effective they are by working from home.
For many it will be a treat, for some a chore and for a few, quite daunting.
If you want some ideas on how to structure the meetings here is afour step process.
Hold weekly 1:1 chats
This should address the personal aspect from step 2 above for a brief time and then get into,
- what have they worked on,
- what were the challenges,
- what help do they need and
- what is in plan for the week ahead.
2. Group WAR meeting
This is a weekly action review so that each team member knows what the other is doing.
This would normally be transparent within the office and would not normally be covered in a weekly ‘team” or “sales” meeting so set a short time aside each week for this.
3. Set up a group chat such using Microsoft Teams
4. For key people, ask for a daily check in. Basecamp has a provision for that.
The bottom line is to continue to give your teams more structure and recognise the risks of isolation which can adversely effect performance.
If your team needs to work remotely, set them and you up for success and remember to maintain a healthy dose of humour and personality.
Remember social isolation doesn’t mean emotional isolation!
Why not have a chat with Mark Creedon and see how you could benefit as a member of BUSINESS ACCELERATOR MASTERMIND
Find out more about BUSINESS ACCELERATOR MASTERMIND by clicking here
When you’re ready to build a business, not just a job, we’re here to help you
- Do you know you’re ready for more, but tired of wondering how you’re going to grow your business?
- Are you looking to cure your frustrations and isolation with a Real Community?
- Are you tired of feeling like you’re doomed to playing small?
- Are you tired of spinning your wheels and getting no traction?
Here are 2 ways we can help you:
- Grab a copy of a white paper I recently wrote: “The top 5 reasons why you need to join a Mastermind Group NOW” – click here to download it.
- Work with me privately by joining our Business Accelerator Mastermind
This community is for you if you you’re a business person, entrepreneur or professional who wants to 10x your income, elevate your ability to give, and leave a massive impact on your community and the world by up-levelling your tribe, improving your business acumen, and removing your limiting beliefs around money and success. Click here to learn more
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.