Which was the best performing apartment market over the last decade?
Brisbane based Place Projects conducted a comparison of Australia’s east coast apartment markets: Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.
Their key findings:
- The graph below clearly shows a widening gap occurring in median apartment prices between the Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne apartment markets.
- Median apartment prices for Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne now sit at $391,000, $750,000 and $542,800 respectively and is easily the largest gap recognised in over 10 years.
- Whilst the Brisbane apartment market has remained flat, there has been growth seen in both the Sydney and Melbourne apartment markets.
- Over the last 12 months the Melbourne apartment market has shown the strongest growth in median prices, recorded at 12.5%. The Sydney apartment market was next with 11.9% growth, whilst the Brisbane apartment market declined in median price by 1%.
- Over the last 10 years ending June 2017, the Sydney apartment market has increased in median price by 60%. This is followed by the Melbourne apartment market which has increased by 46%. However, the Brisbane apartment market has increased by only 8% during this time.
- Brisbane Apartments have been on average, 43% more affordable than Sydney apartments and 15% more affordable than Melbourne apartments over the past 10 years ending June 2017.
- At the current median price of $391,000, Brisbane apartments are 92% cheaper than Sydney apartments and 39% cheaper than Melbourne Apartments.
Source: Place Projects
SUBSCRIBE & DON'T MISS A SINGLE EPISODE OF MICHAEL YARDNEY'S PODCAST
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
PREFER TO SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.