Christmas might be coming early for thousands of borrowers with a home loan.
An October 2020 Finder survey of 968 Australians with a home loan found 1 in 3 (34%) will refinance over the next year.
With 2.9 million mortgage holders in Australia according to ABS census data, that’s nearly 1 million (986,000) Aussies intending to get a better deal.
Rate analysis by Finder shows these homeowners could save an impressive $395 per month on average, or an eye-watering $389 million as a collective.
And that’s before the Reserve Bank of Australia potentially makes another cut to the cash rate in November.
Graham Cooke, insights manager at Finder, said now is the time to switch for more than one reason.
“Borrowers see record low rates and don’t want to be stuck paying more for their mortgage than they need to.
“The pandemic has made people assess where every dollar they earn goes and refinancing a mortgage can lead to a huge leap in savings,” he said.
Cooke said borrowers could conservatively save almost $5,000 a year – more than two times the average full-time weekly salary in Australia.
The savings were based on switching the average mortgage ($400,100) with an interest rate of 3.99% – with principal and interest repayments totalling $1,908 a month.
The lowest variable rate available on Finder is 2.17%, while the lowest 3-year fixed rate is 2.14%.
If that same debt was refinanced to a 2.17% interest rate – borrowers would be paying $1,513 a month. That’s a saving of $395.
- Also read:10 BIG Benefits of setting up an SMSF or a Family SMSF
- Also read:How Many Billionaires Are There in Australia?
- Also read:What You Think About Most Is What You Get: Unleash Your Mind’s Power to Shape Your Reality
- Also read:Visualizing the World’s Growing Millionaire Population (2012-2022)
- Also read:Financial stability amidst the high cost of living
Lenders are also ramping up offers to entice borrowers to switch sooner rather than later with more than just low rates.
Some lenders are offering as much as $4,000 in cashback for those willing to refinance..
“Many of these deals are great value for borrowers, but you really need to look carefully at the offer details.
“A sharp interest rate and minimal fees can save you more money than a one-off $1,000 cashback in the long run,” Cooke said.
Cooke said 5% plan to refinance in the next 4 weeks, while one in ten (11%) plan to refinance in the next 2-6 months.
The remaining 18% said they’ll make the switch in the next 7-12 months.
|Are you planning to refinance in the next 12 months?|
|Yes, in the next 7-12 months||18%|
|Yes, in the next 2-6 months||11%|
|I have already refinanced in the last few months||9%|
|Yes, in the next month||5%|
|No, I don’t plan on refinancing||56%|
|Source: Finder, October 2020 survey of|
If you're wondering what will happen to property in 2020–2021 you are not alone.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance and results.
In challenging times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that's what you exactly what you get from the multi award winning team at Metropole.
If you're looking at buying your next home or investment property here's 4 ways we can help you:
- Strategic property advice. - Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! This will give you direction, results and more certainty. Click here to learn more
- Buyer's agency - As Australia's most trusted buyers’ agents we've been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective - that's something money just can't buy. We'll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory - We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management - Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.