I keep a careful eye on consumer confidence because it’s a good indication of what’s ahead, not just for our property markets but for the economy in general.
And not surprisingly, ANZ-Roy Morgan Consumer Confidence dropped 4.5pts to 93.0 this week – and is now at its lowest for over a month since May 23/24, 2020 (92.7).
Of course, consumer confidence is a good indicator of the confluence of a whole range of economic conditions including job and financial security, and is clearly influenced by the messages the media is feeding them.
And the way people feel about their future will determine how much they’re prepared to spend not just on big items like real estate and other big-ticket items, but also on the day-to-day living.
ANZ Senior Economist, Catherine Birch, commented:
“The surge in COVID-19 cases in Victoria has dented consumer confidence, which dropped 4.6% last week.
This was the largest fall since late-March, when national new daily cases peaked.
Confidence in ‘current economic conditions’ fell sharply, suggesting that households are worried about the prospect of a return to tighter lockdowns and the impact of a second wave on the economy.
Confidence around ‘financial conditions’ fell too and we are already seeing Victorians pull back on spending in the latest ANZ data.
Unfortunately, new daily cases in Victoria jumped to 75 on Monday, the state’s fourth-highest daily total since the pandemic began.
This a worrying sign for confidence and a setback for the recovery.”
Consumer Confidence is now 25.9pts lower than a year ago on the comparable weekend of June 29/30, 2019 (118.9) and 2.1pts below the 2020 weekly average of 95.1.
There were small declines across all five questions but driving the fall was a decline in confidence about the Australian economy over the next year and next five years.
Current financial conditions
- Now 21% (down 2ppts) of Australians say their families are ‘better off’ financially than this time last year (the lowest figure for this indicator for over a month since May 9/10, 2020) and 35% (down 1ppt) say their families are ‘worse off’ financially.
Future financial conditions
- In addition 34% (down 1ppt) of Australians expect their family to be ‘better off’ financially this time next year (the lowest figure for this indicator for over two months since April 25/26, 2020) compared to 19% (up 1ppt) that expect to be ‘worse off’ financially.
Current economic conditions
- However just 7% (down 3ppts) expect ‘good times’ for the Australian economy over the next 12 months while 45% (up 5ppts), expect ‘bad times’.
Future financial conditions
- And in the longer term, 19% (down 3ppts) of Australians are expecting ‘good times’ for the Australian economy over the next five years compared to 19% (up 3ppts) expecting ‘bad times’.
Time to buy a major household item
- Meanwhile a decreasing number of Australians, 36% (down 2ppts), say now is a ‘good time to buy’ major household items, while 34% (up 3ppts), say now is a ‘bad time to buy’.
Now is the time to take action and set yourself for the opportunities that will present themselves as the market moves on
If you’re wondering what will happen to property in 2020–2021 you are not alone.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance and results.
In challenging times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that’s what you exactly what you get from the multi award winning team at Metropole.
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! This will give you direction, results and more certainty. Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.