Believe it or not...Australia has 46 new million-dollar suburbs despite the Coronavirus induced recession.
Melbourne saw median house prices in 24 suburbs exceed the seven-figure threshold this year, while Sydney had 15 and Brisbane, seven.
Despite everything that's been thrown at them, our property markets have remained remarkably resilient.
And the upper end of the market has remained remarkably solid during these challenging times
But not surprisingly 10 suburbs fell out of this exclusive club in the 2020 financial year according to new data from realestate.com.au .
Nerida Conisbee, realestate.com.au’s chief economist, said the premium property market has been “one of the most stable property markets during the COVID-19 pandemic.”
“The property market is currently being supported by high levels of stimulus, a stable banking system, mortgage payment freezes and relative confidence amongst buyers. As a result, pricing has remained stable, despite being in a recession,” she said.
“This is likely due to the strong momentum leading into the shutdowns, and because highly paid sectors haven’t seen widespread unemployment yet.
“Over the last 12 months, more suburbs have entered the million-dollar club than suburbs that have fallen out, but there are still some opportunities to get into a premium suburb for six figures.”
The realestate.com.au median house price data was captured between July 2019 and June 2020, and suburbs with less than 30 sales in this period were excluded.
The Melbourne real estate market has seen the biggest rise in suburbs joining the million-dollar club in Australia.
"At this stage, it’s too early to tell what impact Melbourne’s second lockdown will have on the market,” Ms Conisbee said.
Melbourne now has 119 suburbs with a median of $1million or more - up from 98 a year ago, according to realestate.com.au data.
3 suburbs - Aspendale, Niddrie and Spotswood - fell off the $million list.
- Also read:What makes an A-grade property?
- Also read:Latest Asking Prices State by State | Listings and asking prices steady in lead up to market hiatus
- Also read:Latest property price forecasts for 2024 revealed. What’s ahead in our housing markets in the next year or two?
- Also read:Here’s how to avoid these 12 common reasons property investors fail to build a Multi Million Dollar Property Portfolio
- Also read:Heat comes out of the housing market as values across Melbourne dip and Sydney slows | Corelogic Home Value Index
The Sydney real estate market now has 15 new suburbs with a median price of above $1 million.
This means there are now 209 suburbs in Sydney with home values above $1 million, following house prices growing by 13.3 per cent over the financial year 2020.
According to realestate.com.au, 4 Sydney suburbs fell out of the million-dollar list:
- Campsie: $1,190,000 to $985,000
- Lidcombe: $1,020,000 to $980,000
- North Avoca: $1,030,000 to $932,500
- Sutherland: $1,027,500 to $975,000
Seven Brisbane suburbs joined the million-dollar club for the year to June 2020.
Only one suburb - Balmoral fell off the list, with its median house price slipping from $1.07 million to $882,500 over the last financial year
If you're wondering what will happen to property in 2020–2021 you are not alone.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance and results.
In challenging times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that's what you exactly what you get from the multi award winning team at Metropole.
If you're looking at buying your next home or investment property here's 4 ways we can help you:
- Strategic property advice. - Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! This will give you direction, results and more certainty. Click here to learn more
- Buyer's agency - As Australia's most trusted buyers’ agents we've been involved in over $3Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective - that's something money just can't buy. We'll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory - We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management - Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.