Council Section 149 Certificate

What is a section 149 certificate?

A Section 149 Planning Certificate of the NSW Environment Planning and Assessment Act 1979 is a legal document that confirms the zoning and applicable rules for development of your property.

By law the Section 149 Certificate must be attached to all contracts for Sale of property.

Two types of Section 149 Certificates (2) and (5) meeting audit plan business agent

There are two types of Section 149 Planning Certificates.

• A certificate issued under Section 149(2) provides information about the zoning of the property, the relevant state and local planning controls and various other property affectations.  The matters addressed by Section 149(2) certificates are governed by the Act and Regulations.

• A certificate under Sections 149(2) and (5) provides the information required by Legislation under Section 149(2) together with any additional relevant matters affecting the land of which Council is aware, for example, decisions of Council to review its planning controls for the land.

What information is in a Sections 149 certificate?

It includes information such as the land zone (e.g. R2 Residential) as well as whether it is affected by Bushfire?

Flood Plane or Tidal Zone – is there a likelihood of a 1 in 100 year flood?

Road Widening?

Is the land located in a Local Heritage Conservation Area?

Tree presevation orders?

The minimum sizes for Homes on the land, and setbacks from the boundaries. Any critical habitat? Coastal protection? It also states which State Government policies apply to the site (SEPP).

A Section 149 certificate is not a development approval 

While a Section 149 Planning Certificate identifies all the relevant planning documents that apply to the property, it does not specify development standards or terms of the instruments.

A Section 149 certificate is not a development approval, however, if you’re looking to do a development, the documentation required for your approval will be dependant on what is shown in the 149 Certificate.

If your property is in a flood zone, you may require a flood report and may need to build the floor level of your dwelling higher, or you may not be able to build at all.

When is a Section 149(2) required?

You will need a fresh 149(2) Certificate if you are selling your house if the purchase of that house was completed more than 3 months prior to the sale.

It is important that it isn’t too old as policies within councils change on a regular basis.

Who issues a section 149 section?

The local Council where your property is located will issue you the Certificate, you can apply online or in person and the cost varies from Council to Council.

Garth Brown’s Comments

As a Conveyancer the Section 149 Certificate is one of the most important items to be read prior to purchasing a site as the restrictions on the property may greatly affect the sale price. apartment idea develop build city move plan city building inspect urban

It is also the most useful document because it confirms the Title reference and the Street address, and sometimes the Owner – when all three line up it ensures the true identity of what is being transferred to the Purchaser preventing the wrong property being Conveyed.

Interestingly there are two heritage registers – one for the local Council and a State register – your Conveyancer needs to check both these registers.

You must be aware that if you Buy in a Heritage Conservation area and intend to renovate you are required to maintain the style and colors of other properties in the area.

And, if there are any tree preservation orders, you will need Council approval to remove a Tree.


Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast

Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.

Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?

We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.


Prefer to subscribe via email?

Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.

Garth Brown


Garth Brown is the Founder and Director of Brown and Brown Conveyancers one of Sydney’s leading Conveyancing Firms. With 20 years experience as a practicing Conveyancer he has assisted hundreds of Clients to navigate through the maze of conveyancing issues when buying and selling property. Visit

'Council Section 149 Certificate' have 2 comments


    December 8, 2018 ann sturzenegger

    Can anyone find / pay for a 149 certificate on a property?


      Michael Yardney

      December 8, 2018 Michael Yardney

      Ann – the answer is yes -but the name has changed since this blog was written.
      You can read more here.


Would you like to share your thoughts?

Your email address will not be published.


Copyright © Michael Yardney’s Property Investment Update Important Information
Content Marketing by GridConcepts