Please use the menu below to navigate to any article section:
So after a few years of hard work, you’ve got a neat little fund set up, and you know that one of the best long-term ways to invest your money is to put it in property.
You’ve heard the success stories of million-dollar portfolios, of investors who have managed to retire early on high-growth properties and remarkable rental returns.
However, before you get sucked into that fantasy and imagine yourself living it up while the rental profits just keep rolling in, hit pause and get back down to earth because being an investor is not that simple, even if everything you’ve seen and read suggests otherwise.
As many successes as there are, there have also been many more failures – people have lost money on what they thought were good investments, and still, others have realised that saving up for retirement on the passive income generated through property takes a lot more time than they thought.
So let me outline some honest realities you need to know about property investment:
1. It will take a while – so make sure your wallet is ready
Property investment is really about the long term – it takes a number of property cycles, which equates to a number decades to build a substantial asset base.
Over time you’ll have lots of holding costs and expenditures
Make sure you have sufficient financial buffers in place to see you through the ups and downs of the property cycle.
2. There’s no foolproof formula for success
The path to successful property investment differs for everyone.
It depends on your financial circumstances, your time frame, and your risk profile.
However, you can learn from those who’ve gone before you and recognize that in Australia residential real estate is a high-growth, relatively low yield investment so invest in the best locations you can afford.
And in today’s climate of lower capital growth, it makes sense to “manufacture” capital growth through renovations or development.
3. It’s not just about the perfect location
Even though your property’s location will do the bulk of the heavy lifting of your portfolio’s performance, it’s important to own the right property in that location – one that suits the local demographic and will be in continuous strong demand in the future, not only by tenants but by owner-occupiers who’ll buy similar properties pushing up the value of your property.
This means you’ll need to do some serious research or have an independent property strategist on your side to do the hard work for you.
4. It’ll require upkeep and management
Investment does not begin and end with the purchase of a property.
It’s not a set-and-forget affair.
You’ll need a proficient property manager to help keep your property tenanted and you should annually sit with an independent property strategist to review the performance of your portfolio.
It’s important to keep these realities in mind so you don’t get disappointed and quit when the investment journey turns out to be harder than you think.
It’s fine to be optimistic and look forward to ‘making it’ – after all, that’s what brought you here.
But the good things in life don’t come easy, and the same goes for property investment, even if it’s considered a source of passive income.
There’s a lot of hard work behind the successful investments, and you’ll understand the efforts behind them once you step into it.
Now is the time to take advantage of the opportunities the current property markets are offering.
Sure the markets are moving on, but not all properties are going to increase in value. Now, more than ever, correct property selection will be critical.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance, and results.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced investor, at times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that’s exactly what you get from the multi award-winning team at Metropole.
We help our clients grow, protect and pass on their wealth through a range of services including:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $4Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.