Buying your first property heralds the beginning of your investment journey, but it does not end with signing that contract and getting that property title.
That home or apartment is not going to make money by itself, so for savvy investors, the natural next step is to rent it out and make a killing off the rental returns.
Managing a property for lease is difficult, however – it takes up a lot of time and effort to keep tabs on maintenance while having to chase up tenants to keep the vacancy filled.
Then once you get a tenant, the next battle is constantly making sure they pay rent on time and don’t mess up the property.
A good property manager takes on these responsibilities off your shoulders.
In addition, they are also expected to be knowledgeable about landlord-tenant legislation, which will benefit you greatly in dealing with problem tenants.
Unfortunately, many investors, especially those who are new to the industry, fall victim to bad property managers who end up making life even harder.
So let’s look at some of the typical mistakes investors make in choosing a property manager:
1. Affordability over quality
Naturally everyone wants to save a bit of money and sometimes a property manager who offers a cheap rate can seem like a godsend.
However, a fee that is considerably lower than the standard should give you pause – it could mean that the service you can expect is sub standard.
For instance, there’s a chance that the manager is inexperienced and using you to learnt heir trade.
Moreover, they could be juggling more properties than they can handle and as a result, they won’t give your property their full attention.
When something sounds too good to be true, there’s a strong likelihood that it is.
2. Speed over thoroughness
It may initially look like efficiency but be wary of a property manager who seems to get through the process of finding tenants too quickly.
Sure they could be efficient, but it chis could indicate that the manager is not being thorough.
A thorough background and rental history check of prospective tenants is important to try and prevent future delinquencies.
3. Silence over communication.
There’s a maxim that goes, “silence means yes.”
It can seem peaceful at first when it looks like your property manager isn’t bothering you at all regarding the property’s status.
However, where property management is concerned, silence could be a sign for concern.
A property manager who is often inaccessible or doesn’t keep you up to date with the condition of your property could mean there are some unpleasant surprises waiting for you by the time your manager gets around to calling you.
4. Friendship over business
We all seem to know someone in the real estate industry.
But friendship and business are two separate things, and you have to objectively evaluate whether your friend can do the job right before you take them on.
Otherwise, down the line, it could wind up not only ruining your investment, but your friendship as well.
Hiring an unprofessional property manager is likely to be a costly mistake as your profits wind up going into fixing their mistakes instead of being used to fund your next investment.
Now is the time to take action and set yourself for the opportunities that will present themselves as the market moves on
If you’re wondering what’s ahead for property you are not alone.
You can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance and results.
In “interesting” times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that’s what you exactly what you get from the multi award winning team at Metropole.
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! This will give you direction, results and more certainty. Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3.5 Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.