Welcome to the Michael Yardney Podcast.
Today I’m thrilled to have Nicola McDougall, chairperson of PIPA as my guest and we’re going to discuss how our property markets have become a political play toy.
There's a lot to unpack, and it's crucial for investors to understand the implications of the increased interference in the markets.
We’ll also discuss the latest ATO statistics showing how many property investors are in Australia and how many properties they own.
And you’ll hear how more and more investors are thinking of jumping ship.
How politics is changing the property investment landscape
The intersection of politics and property markets is a subject that's been making waves in the property investment community.
It's a jungle out there, and as investors, it’s crucial to keep our fingers on the pulse of the latest developments.
My guest today is Nicola McDougall, chairperson of PIPA – the Property Investment Professionals of Australia.
Highlights of my chat with Nicola:
- How the landscape has changed since the last time Nicola guested on the podcast
- Why investors were looking to sell up
- What the rental pool looks like because of all the changes
- The lack of increase in the number of Australian property investors who own more than one or two properties
- The role politics has played in tenancy reforms
- The fees that investors have to pay, including taxes and stamp duty
- The government’s understanding ( or lack of it) of the way the property market and economics work
- Potential rental caps and freezes and their impact on renters and investors
- The distinction between social housing and the provision of rental accommodation for people who choose not to buy
- The potential repercussions of increased migration on the Australian real estate market
- The damaging effects of alarmist predictions on average investors
- The importance of playing the long game in the Australian market
Links and Resources:
Get the team at Metropole to help build your personal Strategic Property Plan Click here and have a chat with us
Join us at Metropole Brisbane Charity Ball to support Hummingbird House - click here to reserve your spot
Get your bundle of eBooks and reports at www.PodcastBonus.com.au
Nicola McDougall – Chairperson PIPA
Some of our favorite quotes from the show:
“It is supply and demand and if investors move out of the market, there's going to be less supply, increasing demand and rents are going to go up.” – Michael Yardney
“We've got other options for our investments. We don't have to provide the accommodation the government's not providing.” – Michael Yardney
“Don't get so stuck that you forget that other people are also leading interesting lives and they may well have a role to play in yours moving forward as well.” – Michael Yardney
PLEASE LEAVE US A REVIEW
Reviews are hugely important to me because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes - it's your way of passing the message forward to others and saying thank you to me. Here's how
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.