How much will property prices fall during the recession?
There’s no doubt that the turnover of property sales is dropping, and yes properties in some areas are falling in value.
But will they drop 10%, 20%, 30% like some people are suggesting?
Which headline do you even start to believe?
Well, let’s not worry too much about the headlines, because today I’m going to have a chat with Stuart Wemyss and we’re going to give you evidence-based facts about what could happen so you’ll have a better understanding about what’s going to happen to unemployment and property prices and what you can do to weather the storm from a finance perspective.
Some Topics that Stuart and I Discuss:
- While it makes sense that higher unemployment could affect property, when you look back, there is no historical relationship between higher unemployment and property prices.
- Property values have risen fast after previous downturns, while unemployment has lingered.
- The best approach to property is to take a long-term view
- The fundamentals and basic concepts of property haven’t changed
- Transaction volumes have dropped, but so far property prices are holding
- Is timing important when it comes to buying a property during a downturn?
- The value of investing in an asset that provides most of its return in capital growth instead of income
- There will be a lot of negative noise around the property markets
- This can cause people to avoid making decisions
- Why Stuart wrote a book on finance
Links and Resources:
Stuart’s article – Property market expectations & the impact of Coronavirus
Stuart’s Book – Rules of the Lending Game
Some of our favourite quotes from the show:
“It’s really hard to be greedy when others are fearful when you keep getting the negative messages.” –Michael Yardney
“People ask me, “Michael how has your strategy changed for the current circumstances?” The answer is, it hasn’t.” – Michael Yardney
“I believe you’ve only got the right to say financial wealth is not worth it after you’ve created it.” –Michael Yardney
PLEASE LEAVE US A REVIEW
Reviews are hugely important to me because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes – it’s your way of passing the message forward to others and saying thank you to me. Here’s how
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.