In these regular Big Picture podcasts, Pete Wargent and I discuss the macroeconomic factors affecting your economy and our property markets, and a lot has happened since our last show a month ago.
As one of Australia's most respected financial analysts and commentators, Pete brings his invaluable expertise to help us navigate the ever-changing landscape of the Australian property market.
- A lot of economists have changed their predictions since the last rate hike
- The impact of the Reserve Bank's interest rate decision and new Governor Michelle Bullock's appointment
- Discussion on the surge in property listings, especially in Perth, Adelaide, and Queensland, and speculation on whether this is due to investors capitalizing on market shifts or facing financial troubles
- Analysis of the sluggish property price growth despite the rise in rent prices, and the effects of borrowing capacity and housing stock efficiency
- Exploration of urban redevelopment and housing construction issues, including the price gap between houses and units, potential pitfalls of new developments, and merits of older apartments
- Examination of the role of population growth on infrastructure and the economy, covering immigration's influence, changing demographic pyramid, and future challenges like lack of infrastructure and transport access
- Detailed discussion on the changes at the Reserve Bank, exploring the Bank's interest rate decision, increase in property listings, slowing growth of rentals, and widening gap between houses and apartments
- Deep dive into the fragmented Australian property market, analyzing the surge in listings, slow property price growth despite the rise in rent prices, and impact of borrowing capacity
- Discussion on urban redevelopment and housing construction issues, touching on aspirational suburbs, widening price gap between houses and units, and potential issues with new and existing developments
- Exploration of population growth's impact on infrastructure and economy, discussing immigration's role, changing demographic pyramid, and potential future challenges.
Links and Resources:
Metropole’s Strategic Property Plan – to help both beginning and experienced investors
Get a bundle of free reports and eBooks – www.PodcastBonus.com.au
Some of our favorite quotes from the show:
“I'm happy that it's slowing a bit because if we do have boom time conditions, that means this particular cycle will be a lot shorter.” Michael Yardney
“Look where people are moving, look where the money is going, and that's a combination of the locals and the millennials in particular who are now moving out of apartments into family formation states.” Michael Yardney
“And, by the way, don't compare yourself with other people, because the things you see on Instagram and Facebook aren't real.” Michael Yardney
PLEASE LEAVE US A REVIEW
Reviews are hugely important to me because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes - it's your way of passing the message forward to others and saying thank you to me. Here's how
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.