There is plenty of evidence that what we find most stressful as humans is uncertainty, not change in itself.
Why do some people seem to sail gently through all the changes life throws at them, while others get upset if they have to change even their breakfast cereal?
The key is in how you view change, and your level of acceptance, uncertainty and resilience.
In Tom Corley’s five-year Rich Habits study of 233 rich people and 128 poor people he discovered that we adopt the beliefs of our parents, family, mentors, culture, and environment.
There are two opposing schools of thought that divide mankind.
- School of Thought #1: Self-Determination Drives Life Circumstances
- School of Thought #2: Predetermination Drives Life Circumstances
Those who subscribe to School of Thought #1:
- Believe we are in control of our life circumstances.
- There is no one out there, no higher power, watching over us, guiding us.
- Those in this school believe success, wealth, failure and poverty are manufactured.
- We turn left or right, decide A or B, or do X or Y as a matter of free will, instinct or internal guidance.
- In other words, the circumstances of our lives are dictated by our own decisions, our own behaviors and the choices that we make.
- We, in effect, create our own destiny.
Those who subscribe to School of Thought #2:
- Believe we are not in control of our life circumstances.
- Some higher power is watching over us, determining the circumstances of our lives.
- Those in this school believe success, wealth, failure and poverty are outside our control.
- We turn left or right, decide A or B, or do X or Y because some force of nature acts upon us, directing us in every aspect of our lives.
In other words, the circumstances of our lives are not determined by us, but by external factors we cannot possibly control.
We, in effect, are powerless over the course of our lives.
When you subscribe to School of Thought #1 you embrace the concept that you are in control of your destiny; that you have power over the course of your life.
As a result, you develop a mindset of self-reliance.
Through hard work and personal initiative, you seek to create the life you desire.
You pursue lifelong self-education, take calculated risks, seek feedback from others and carefully weigh every decision you make.
You search for mentors to help you forge good habits that put you on the right path.
When you subscribe to School of Thought #2 you embrace the concept that your destiny is predetermined; that you are powerless over the course of your life.
As a result, you feel you are not in control of your life.
You are a mere victim of the luck of the draw.
Because you feel you are not in control of your life, you do very little to affect the circumstances of your life.
You float along in life like a leaf on a fall day, carried by the wind.
Which are you?
Something to think about.
Links and Resources:
Some of our favourite quotes from the show:
“You have a future waiting for you and the future is determined by your habits, the way you think, therefore the actions you take, and therefore the results that you’re going to get.” – Michael Yardney
Relationships, whether it’s health, diet, because of all the decisions we’ve chosen to make, and the decisions we’ve chosen not to make.” – Michael Yardney
“The question is, are you an actor in this story that’s in your mind, or are you the storyteller whose actually got the right to be able to change the story?” – Michael Yardney
PLEASE LEAVE US A REVIEW
Reviews are hugely important to me because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes – it’s your way of passing the message forward to others and saying thank you to me. Here’s how.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.