You’ve probably heard me say that I believe that property investment is a game of finance – with some houses thrown in the middle.
Well, in today’s episode I’m going to tell you 10 things your banker won’t tell you, but that you really must know to become a successful property investor.
Then Ken Raiss answers a listener’s question about whether you’re ever too old to invest.
And even if you’re not wondering if you’re too old to invest, there are some great lessons in my chat with Ken.
10 things your banker won’t tell you:
- Bankers can only offer you limited options – they won’t tell you what other banks are offering, even if another bank has an option that’s better for you
- Bankers are salespeople – it’s their job to sell you financial products
- There are three doors into the bank: the retail door, the business branch, and the institutional branches
- Mortgage rates are negotiable
- An offset account is often better for you than a term deposit
- Bank fees make a lot of money for the banks
- Some fees can be waived – but you have to ask
- Bankers aren’t financial advisors
- The system will decide on your loan application
- You should shop around for the financial products that best suit your needs
The 3 Stages of Financial Freedom
Phase 1 – Accumulation. Investing doesn’t give you cash flow right away, so you need time to develop your asset base.
Phase 2: – Consolidation. You slowly reduce your debt, increasing your cash flow
Phase 3 – Living off of your cash machine
Links and Resources:
Some of our favourite quotes from the show:
“Get a good team of people around you. It’s really too hard to do it on your own.” – Michael Yardney
“Finance is the key to getting involved in renovation and development.” – Michael Yardney
“When people haven’t invested by the time they get to their 50s or 60s, deep down they are probably holding themselves back because of a concern with risk or a concern with debt.” – Michael Yardney
PLEASE LEAVE US A REVIEW
Reviews are hugely important to me because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes – it’s your way of passing the message forward to others and saying thank you to me. Here’s how.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.