The wealth gap is widening around the world.
The rich get richer and the poor get left behind.
But why does this happen?
According to Tom Corley, the gap is really a parenting gap, not a wealth gap.
In today’s episode, we’ll discuss 10 critical habits that the self-made wealthy learned from their parents.
This will help you understand the lessons that you should be teaching your children to help them grow up to be successful.
And if you haven’t yet learned these lessons yourself, it’s not too late to do so.
10 critical habits the wealthy learn from their parents
- You create your life. Your life is not determined by the government, other people or external circumstances. You are the pilot of your life.
- Take responsibility when things go wrong. Don’t blame others or play the victim.
- Respect the law. When you break the rules, people don’t trust you and don’t want to do business with you.
- Seek your main purpose. Kids should experiment with different activities so that they can find and identify their true talents.
- Pursue your dreams and goals. Define an ideal future life. This creates clarity and helps you see down the road and focus your attentions.
- Acquiring wealth is a good thing. Wealthy people help fund charities, build hospitals and schools. They should be looked up to.
- Work hard for what you want. You don’t have to be born wealthy to attain wealth, but you do need to be willing to work hard for it.
- Respect other people’s property. You’re not entitled to something that another person has. Don’t expect others to give you anything.
- Improve yourself daily. Parents of self-made wealthy people teach their kids to focus on growth and knowledge.
- Use time productively. Don’t waste time on distractions. Use your time to learn and improve yourself. Make productivity a habit.
Links and Resources:
Some of our favourite quotes from the show:
“We know that mentors, models are really important in life because we learn a lot of our habits, the things we do on a regular basis, from things we see, things we hear, things we experience as a child.” –Michael Yardney
“Clearly, when you make money doing what you love, it leads to a different sort of resilience, it lets you get through the difficult times because all businesses have their ups and downs and challenges. It leads you to your true calling in life. –Michael Yardney
“You don’t have to be born wealthy. Most successful people today, we’re not born that way.” –Michael Yardney
PLEASE LEAVE US A REVIEW
Reviews are hugely important to me because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes – it’s your way of passing the message forward to others and saying thank you to me. Here’s how.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of michael yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to michael yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.