Title Insurance – What is it and do you need it?

What is title insurance?

Title Insurance is all about coverage for risks AFTER date of Settlement (risks not known or, known risks – with additional premium) to all parties prior to signing Contract and before Settlement) via compensation for loss in value or reimbursement of expenses in the future. Home umbrella

It is a specialised type of insurance which provides protection to home buyers and existing home owners of residential property.

When buying a property there are many inherent risks which may cause you loss or affect your ownership.

Title Insurance is the only means to provide the most comprehensive protection against risks which may affect your legal ownership of yourhome.

Title Insurance has only been in the Australian market for about 12 years – before then it did not exist.

However, in America – it is part of the Conveyancing Process and is effected on Purchase files and has been around in that Country since the 1860’s.

What does title insurance cover?

For a home buyer – Residential:  


  • Illegal Building Work
  • Survey/Boundary Defects
  • Registration Gap
  • Fraud, Forgery & Identity Theft
  • Planning & Title Defects
  • Outstanding Rates and Taxes

For a home buyer – Strata:

  • Unapproved Alterations
  • Registration Gap
  • Fraud, Forgery & Identity Theft
  • Planning & Title Defects
  • Outstanding Rates and Taxes

For an existing home owner:   Man Signing Contract

  • Fraud, Forgery & Identity Theft
  • Illegal Building Work
  • Survey/Boundary Defects
  • Planning & Title Defects

For vacant land:

  • Unsatisfied Conditions of Development Approvals
  • Fraud, Forgery & Identity Theft
  • Survey/Boundary Defects
  • Registration Gap
  • Planning & Title Defects
  • Outstanding Rates and Taxes

What does title insurance cost?

  • One time premium provides protection forever your Conveyancer will advise you of premiums.
  • No excess payable on claims.
  • No fault claims process means you don’t have to prove fault or negligence – you only need to prove that you have suffered actual loss based on cover that the policy provides.
  • No cap on cover apart from the policy amount.
  • 200% ‘inflation’ allowance for increases in the value of the property over time.

Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast

Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.

Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?

We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.


Prefer to subscribe via email?

Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.

Avatar for Property Update


Garth Brown is the Founder and Director of Brown and Brown Conveyancers one of Sydney’s leading Conveyancing Firms. With 20 years experience as a practicing Conveyancer he has assisted hundreds of Clients to navigate through the maze of conveyancing issues when buying and selling property. Visit www.conveyancers.net.au/

'Title Insurance – What is it and do you need it?' have no comments

Be the first to comment this post!

Would you like to share your thoughts?

Your email address will not be published.


Michael's Daily Insights

Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers.

NOTE: this daily service is a different subscription to our weekly newsletter so...