Who wouldn’t like to buy their parents’ house at the price their parents paid years ago?
In today’s show we’re going to look at the past as I have a chat with Pete Wargent to see what clues it can give us about the future of property.
We discuss what would happen if Crocodile Dundee would have to assess the changes that happened to our property markets in Australia since 1986 – maybe he’d gone on a walk about State Side for a few decades.
What would Mick Dundee think of present-day Australia could give you a very different perspective on current conditions.
Having the benefit of hindsight can give you insight into the future.
While you may not be able to go back and change past decisions, maybe you could use this information to predict how things are going to unfold going forward.
Some of the things we discuss:
- How and why the population in some of Australia’s cities, like Sydney and Melbourne, have dramatically increased in the last 30 years
- The changes in Australia’s workforce over the last few decades, including that how the female workforce has increased to the highest levels yet
- How the general perception of debt and interest rates have changed along with the demographics in Australia
- How entertainment has changed in Australia since the 1980s, and how increased screen time has increased connectivity between people
- How crime rates have changed over time, particularly in the cities.
- The way the increasing population in our cities affect the quality of life
- Why Australia’s economy is improving and will continue to improve in the near future
- How immigration has affected the median age in Australia
- What Australia might look like 30 years from now
Links and Resources:
Some of our favourite quotes from the show:
“You’ve got take into account the general economic circumstances, what’s happening to the economy, inflation, the cost of goods, when you understand what interest rates are and whether you should take on debt. Good debt has never been an issue, not way back then either.” Michael Yardney
“Many houses have more television screens than they have people, and then they wonder why the money doesn’t last the month out and why their budgets don’t meet.” Michael Yardney
“One of the things I’ve noticed is that we’re now the second-wealthiest country in the world on a per-capita basis, in terms of household wealth.” Pete Wargent
Never miss an episode and keep up with all the good things going on at the Michael Yardney podcast by subscribing on iTunes.
You can also subscribe to MichaelYardneyPodcast.com to keep up with the latest information including bonus material that comes out between the podcasts.
SUBSCRIBE & DON'T MISS A SINGLE EPISODE OF MICHAEL YARDNEY'S PODCAST
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
PREFER TO SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.