If you want to become successful at anything, whether it’s property investment, business or entrepreneurship, a great strategy is to find yourself a mentor – someone who’s achieved what you’re wanting to achieve and study them, learn from them and emulate them.
You can learn from their successes as well as their failures.
In fact it’s much cheaper to learn from your mentor’s mistakes
So please allow me to be one of your mentors.
You see…I frequently get interviewed on the radio, television and on podcasts.
And today I’d like to replay an interview that brought out a lot of great information about my youth, my successes and also the things I’ve done wrong.
As I said…if you can learn from other people’s mistakes, why not do that instead of making these yourself?
Mike Mortlock from MCG Quantity Surveyors interviewed me for his podcast.
This show is about double the length of our normal show, but there’s a lot of good information there that both new and returning listeners will benefit from.
Some of the topics we discuss during the interview
- How I got interested in property
- My first property
- What led me to start the Metropole Group of Companies
- How finding mentors and learning from mistakes helped me create the business that I have today
- Some of the mistakes I’ve made
- Patterns I’ve learned in the property cycles
- Strategies that I have used in my real estate investment journey
- Which locations are going to outperform in the long run
- Why investors should think like home buyers
- What opportunities exist for potential investors with limited budgets
- How long it really takes to become financially independent
- Some strategies for new investors
- Difficulties with getting financing when you have several properties
- A mistake that I sees property investors frequently make
- How investors can use renovations to add value
- Why behavioural finance and investment psychology are important subjects to understand
- How biases affect financial decision making
- The services that Metropole offers
Links and Resources:
Mike Mortlock MCG Quantity Surveyors
Some of our favourite quotes from the show:
“I’m actually a real success at failure. I guess there’s been tenacity to keep going.” –Michael Yardney
“The good and the bad times are keep coming, so be prepared for them. Maximizse your upside and be prepared to cover your downside.”
“One of the big lessons of successful investors, business people, is to delay gratification. Wealth is the transfer of money from the impatient to the patient.” –Michael Yardney
PLEASE LEAVE US A REVIEW
Reviews are hugely important to me because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes – it’s your way of passing the message forward to others and saying thank you to me. Here’s how.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.