My parents used to say that when my Grandfather, Pop Pop Dailey, used to walk into the room, it didn’t matter who was in the room.
Pop Pop Dailey could command the entire room’s attention.
People liked him.
He was likable.
People who are likable are magnets.
They attract others to them.
In my Rich Habits research, I found several traits that made self-made millionaires likable.
In fact, 94% stated that being likable was critical to their success in life.
Turn Ons of Likable People:
- They Are Inspirational
- They Avoid Toxic Talk – They avoid saying anything negative and do not gossip. They keep their conversations upbeat.
- They Focus on Others – They ask individuals questions about their lives and avoided talking about themselves.
- They Are Knowledgable About Current Events – They are up to speed with all the important things that are going on in the world. This makes them interesting.
- They Are Funny – They use humor to break the ice and put others at ease.
- They Are Positive and Upbeat – They have a positive, optimistic attitude.
- They Are Grateful – They talk about the good in life.
- They Are Honest – This makes them trustworthy.
- They Are Open-Minded – They are easy to talk to. They don’t force their opinions on others.
- They Don’t Lose Their Temper
- They Are Modest
- They Are Passionate About Life
- They Are Physically Fit
Turn Offs of Unlikable People:
- Negative Nancy’s – They drag people down with their negative attitude.
- Toxic Talkers – They share negative gossip about others.
- They Talk Too Much About Their Personal Problems – Everyone has problems. No one wants to hear your problems.
- They Are Uninformed – They know very little about what is going on in the world. This makes them uninteresting.
- They Lack Humor – They are not funny. They lack a sense of humor.
- They Are Pessimistic – They are negative and have a pessimistic outlook on life.
- They Lack Gratitude – They talk about what they don’t have. They focus on what they lack.
- They Talk About Themselves – The focus on their own lives. They brag about themselves.
- They are Closed-Minded – They force their opinions on others.
- They Name Drop – They try to make themselves appear to be important by dropping names of important people. This makes them seem pretentious.
- They Lack Passion
- They Seek Attention – They do things that draw attention to themselves.
- They Show Anger – They lose their temper around others. This scares others and pushes them away.
Likability is critical to success.
You cannot succeed on your own.
You need others to help you.
Being likable attacks others to you who may be able to help you.
Subscribe & don’t miss a single episode of Michael Yardney’s podcast
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
Need help listening to Michael Yardney’s podcast from your phone or tablet?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
Prefer to subscribe via email?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.