The Independent reports that the average child in the UK will cause £5,000 damage in their parents’ homes by the time they reach 18.
Apparently 3 year olds are the most destructive, according to the ‘True Cost of a Child’ report.
It lists the most common damage caused at home as:
- Spilling food and drink on the carpets (63%)
- Smashing plates and crockery (35%)
- Drawing and painting on the walls (33%)
- Breaking vases, pictures and photo frames (24%)
- Tearing wallpaper from the walls (22%)
- Jumping on beds until they break (15%)
- Breaking windows playing sports in the garden (10%)
- Damaging the TV playing computer games (9%)
- Putting food and drink in electrical objects (7%)
- Hiding valuables in the washing machine (6.6%)
The report shows that after the age of 10, levels of household destruction gradually fall until children reach 16 at which point the damage levels start to rise once again.
SUBSCRIBE & DON'T MISS A SINGLE EPISODE OF MICHAEL YARDNEY'S PODCAST
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
NEED HELP LISTENING TO MICHAEL YARDNEY'S PODCAST FROM YOUR PHONE OR TABLET?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
PREFER TO SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.