While property values showed resilience through the difficult Covid19 induced property cocoon of 2020, the rental markets in certain parts of Australia were hit quite hard.
Melbourne CBD apartments rents plummeted 27.3 per cent in the year to December, with the median unit rent dropping to $400 per week – the largest fall of any Melbourne suburb according to the latest Domain Rent Report.
Other inner-city suburbs, including Docklands, Southbank, Middle Park, West Melbourne, South Melbourne, East Melbourne, Carlton and Albert Park, also featured in the 10 suburbs with the biggest drops in apartment rents, with falls ranging from 22.4 per cent in Docklands to 11.6 per cent in Albert Park.
Domain senior research analyst Nicola Powell said areas which had “heightened levels of apartment supply” and a “greater proportion of rental demand sourced from overseas migrants or foreign students” were hardest hit by rent falls over the course of the past year.
The current conditions have given tenants in certain locations the chance to negotiate hundreds of dollars off asking rents.
At Metropole Property Management’s Melbourne office our proactive approach has minimised vacancies and rental reductions for our landlord clients.
In fact we have had a record last few months leasing properties for our clients.
Fortunately the Metropole team have always avoided recommending properties in the high-rise towers that have been the hardest hit, however even some of Melbourne’s inner suburbs have suffered.
- Also read:We’re in the middle of a rental crisis | Property Insiders [Video]
- Also read:17 Sydney suburbs that are cheaper now than 5 years ago
- Also read:Boom to bust: What makes property prices rise and fall
- Also read:Should you do anything about rising interest rates?
- Also read:City centres are bouncing back – here’s what it means for our unit market in 13 Charts
A two-speed market
Remote working has also affected inner-city rent prices, as some residents relocate to middle ring and outer suburbs in search of more space, a trend that has driven up rent prices in some outer suburbs and regional areas according to Dr Powell.
While inner-city apartment rents are falling, some of Victoria’s favourite coastal towns have seen rents skyrocket over the past 12 months.
Now is the time to take action and set yourself up for the opportunities that will present themselves in property this year.
If you’re wondering how to take advantage of the new property cycle you can trust the team at Metropole to provide you with direction, guidance and results.
Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned property investor, we would love to help you formulate an investment strategy or do a review of your existing portfolio, and help you take your property investment to the next level.
In “interesting” times like we are currently experiencing you need an advisor who takes a holistic approach to your wealth creation and that’s what you exactly what you get from the multi award winning team at Metropole.
If you’re looking at buying your next home or investment property here’s 4 ways we can help you:
- Strategic property advice. – Allow us to build a Strategic Property Plan for you and your family. Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now! This will give you direction, results and more certainty. Click here to learn more
- Buyer’s agency – As Australia’s most trusted buyers’ agents we’ve been involved in over $3.5 Billion worth of transactions creating wealth for our clients and we can do the same for you. Our on the ground teams in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane bring you years of experience and perspective – that’s something money just can’t buy. We’ll help you find your next home or an investment grade property. Click here to learn how we can help you.
- Wealth Advisory – We can provide you with strategic tailored financial planning and wealth advice. Click here to learn more about we can help you.
- Property Management – Our stress free property management services help you maximise your property returns. Click here to find out why our clients enjoy a vacancy rate considerably below the market average, our tenants stay an average of 3 years and our properties lease 10 days faster than the market average.