Many investors have become wealthy through property investment, very wealthy. But the real profits in the property market are at the wholesale end – in property development.
So let’s look at some of the benefits of becoming a property developer:
When you become involved in the property development process (and we discus this in a series of article son this site) you could benefit in the following ways:-
1. Savings – rather than buying properties at retail, you can acquire your investments 15- 20% below their market cost. This is because you don’t pay developer’s margin, agent’s commission, GST, marketing and other costs usually included in the price of buying real estate.
2. Profits – at the right time in the property market you can make good profits selling your development projects.
3. Easier finance – once you have completed your development project you can approach banks to re mortgage your properties. They will usually lend you 80% or more of their retail value when completed.
In many instances this is about what it cost you to develop your project and you can take out your initial equity. In other words it’s a bit like borrowing 100% of the cost of the property or having “nothing down.”
4. Leverage – Following on from the above point you get massive leverage when you have completed the development project. Often you control a substantial property or even 2 or 3 townhouses with little capital in the properties as equity.
5. Tax benefits – owing new properties gives you all the benefits of depreciation allowances giving you a great “after tax” return.
6. Higher rental return – your tenants will pay the retail rents. They won’t know that the cost of your property was substantially below the retail price. This means your rental yields will be higher than for someone who bought their property at market value.
7. Security – if undertaken correctly, property development can be very lucrative. If you buy your development site well your investment will always be underpinned by the security of real estate in a prime position.
All these benefits of becoming a property developer allow you to grow your property portfolio faster and safer than most investors. This is of course a strategy that I have used personally to make fantastic returns on property.
Most people think that property development is too hard and only suitable for professionals. In fact most don’t have the time, knowledge, skills or contacts to become developers.
That’s where Metropole can help you. Metropole organises everything and takes much of the worry out of investment by assisting you with all the development expertise from concept to completion.
Metropole’s Property Developer Program allows investors to safely develop residential property and become an “armchair developer.”
You can potentially make a significant profit by developing a residential site and capturing the increased equity and become a property developer without getting your hands dirty!
Of course there is always two sides to the coin – clearly there are significant potential risks if you get involved in property development. Read the other articles on property development on this site and we’ll walk you through the process, and further explain these risks and the potential rewards
SUBSCRIBE & DON'T MISS A SINGLE EPISODE OF MICHAEL YARDNEY'S PODCAST
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
NEED HELP LISTENING TO MICHAEL YARDNEY'S PODCAST FROM YOUR PHONE OR TABLET?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
PREFER TO SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.