Do real estate agents tell little white lies?
And would you like to know how to predict the chance of your future success?
Well…in today’s Podcast I chat with George Raptis, Director of Metropole in Sydney and ask whether real estate agents tell white lies to make help make sales.
We discuss whether agents bend the truth or are they just trying to do their job without being sued.
I deal with real estate agents all the time and most are just regular people doing their very best in a very competitive market.
I also discuss a really fascinating study that revolves around whether you can predict a child’s future success.
Interestingly this study proves that you can predict future success, but it may not be in the way that you think.
Do real estate agents tell white lies to make a sale?
- Playing on your fear of losing out by saying that there are other interested buyers. Never feel pressured. Ask if the other party has signed a contract.
- “We don’t need to include that because the vendor will be fine with that.” There is no guarantee you’ll get the condition you want without a signed contract. “He told me so” is not a legal argument.
- Applying deadlines or time pressure. Maybe the agent has somewhere to go but more likely they are trying to rush you. Take all the time you need to make a reasonable decision.
- What if the agent says: “My client hasn’t told me what they want for their home.” Don’t believe them – agents know the price their clients want. Change your approach to get the information you want.
- “We are happy to present any offer prior to the auction.” Agents will entice you to test buyer interest. Experienced agents could use this information to set a higher reserve.
- “You don’t need to look over the contract.” Buyer beware of any financial agreement they sign. Have a solicitor look over all contracts.
Mindset Message: This is the best predictor of future success:
- Grit is the passion and perseverance for long term goals. This is what set the “A” students apart from the other students.
- Grit is something that you can develop even if you haven’t shown it in the past.
- In order to succeed, you have to get up one more time and push past your boundaries.
Links and resources:
- Michael Yardney
- George Raptis
- Angela Lee Duckworth
- Property Update App
- Rich Habits Poor Habits
Some favourite quotes from today’s show:
“Many estate agents just bend the truth a little bit to get you more excited about the property.” Michael Yardney
“Sometimes you are going to fail and things are going to go wrong. You need to be one of those that gets out of your comfort zone and pushes yourself foreword.” Michael Yardney
“You don’t need to be inherently intelligent or talented to succeed, you just need to have grit.” Michael Yardney
Never miss an episode and keep up with all the good things going on at the Michael Yardney podcast by subscribing on iTunes.
You can also subscribe to MichaelYardneyPodcast.com to keep up with the latest information including bonus material that comes out between the podcasts.
SUBSCRIBE & DON'T MISS A SINGLE EPISODE OF MICHAEL YARDNEY'S PODCAST
Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.
NEED HELP LISTENING TO MICHAEL YARDNEY'S PODCAST FROM YOUR PHONE OR TABLET?
We have created easy to follow instructions for you whether you're on iPhone / iPad or an Android device.
PREFER TO SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL?
Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.