admin-ajax.php

NSW to scrap first home buyer concessions for existing homes

The NSW government will limit full stamp duty concessions to those buying new homes from January 1, 2012.

It is said that around 80% of first-home buyers purchase an established property and next year they will no longer have their stamp duty fully subsidised by the state government unless they buy newly constructed homes.

The shock measure was unveiled by Treasurer Mike Baird in the Coalition’s first budget last week. He is clearly keen to stimulate the struggling construction sector.

“We recognise this is a difficult decision, but we believe it is necessary to make buying a new house relatively more attractive than buying an existing dwelling for first-home buyers,” Baird says.

“The government has therefore decided that from 1 January next year, while all eligible first home buyers will continue to receive the $7,000 first-home owner’s grant, eligibility for additional stamp duty concessions will be limited to those purchasing newly constructed homes, including ‘off the plan’,” the Treasurer says.

“We will continue to closely monitor housing sector conditions and will work closely with the sector to develop further options to encourage growth.”

With first homebuyers re entering the markets I see a spike of purchases in the sub $500,000 bracket over the next few months as some first-home buyers stand to lose up to $17,990 if they buy an established property next year.

First-home benefits of up to $24,990 are currently available, including the $7,000 First Home Owner Grant and a duty exemption of up to $17,990 under the First Home Plus Scheme.

The $7,000 first-home buyer grant will continue to be available to all eligible first-home buyers.



icon-podcast-large

SUBSCRIBE & DON'T MISS A SINGLE EPISODE OF MICHAEL YARDNEY'S PODCAST

Hear Michael & a select panel of guest experts discuss property investment, success & money related topics. Subscribe now, whether you're on an Apple or Android handset.

icon-email-large

PREFER TO SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL?

Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers and get into the head of Australia's best property investment advisor and a wide team of leading property researchers and commentators.


Avatar for Property Update

About

Michael is a director of Metropole Property Strategists who help their clients grow, protect and pass on their wealth through independent, unbiased property advice and advocacy. He's once again been voted Australia's leading property investment adviser and his opinions are regularly featured in the media. Visit Metropole.com.au


'NSW to scrap first home buyer concessions for existing homes' have no comments

Be the first to comment this post!

Would you like to share your thoughts?

Your email address will not be published.
CAPTCHA Image

*

facebook
twitter
google
0
linkedin
0
email

Michael's Daily Insights

Join Michael Yardney's inner circle of daily subscribers.

NOTE: this daily service is a different subscription to our weekly newsletter so...

REGISTER NOW

Subscribe!